Truss Rod Nut Wont Move

My guitar is buzzing at the 3rd fret and I can see that there is zero relief in the neck so I am trying to loosen the rod. It's an epiphone - truss rod is accessed at the head end - allen key type nut. 

I am sure that the rod has never been adjusted and the guitar is 35 years old. I bought it off a chap that had it cased in his cupboard practically all its life. Still had the cellophane on the pickguard and original strings when I got it!

Since a restring with 10s the buzzing is less so, but the truss still needs a quarter turn.

What would you advise?

Should I put the allen key in and give it a light tap to free up and build up of "stuff" over the years?

Should I use some lubricate - I have some singer machine oil?

Should I clamp the neck straight and then then try adjusting?

Any tips/help/experience appreciated ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    If you can safely get a soldering iron in there a bit of heat can help loosen it.  If not try a little bit of contact cleaner right on the nut... not too much. 

dont force it with the Allen key alone.

also try a small turn in the opposite direction first, but that’s normally the solution when they won’t tighten
  • WezV said:
    If you can safely get a soldering iron in there a bit of heat can help loosen it.  If not try a little bit of contact cleaner right on the nut... not too much. 

dont force it with the Allen key alone.

also try a small turn in the opposite direction first, but that’s normally the solution when they won’t tighten
    I did read somewhere about heating it up. I'll give it a go.

It's not really bad and the guitar plays great even with the slight issue at the 3rd. Intonation is spot on too.

I did try tightening but it was not budging either..

Cheers :+1: 

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    Sounds more like a worn nut or high fret .  Would adjusting the truss rod make enough difference at the bottom of the neck even if you add some relief ? 
  • Alvin said:
    Sounds more like a worn nut or high fret .  Would adjusting the truss rod make enough difference at the bottom of the neck even if you add some relief ? 
    Don't think any part of this guitar is worn it's hardly been played. I checked the frets last night and they were pretty good - no rocking. There is zero relief in the neck, so that is why I want to quarter turn the rod
  • Alvin said:
    Don't think any part of this guitar is worn it's hardly been played. I checked the frets last night and they were pretty good - no rocking. There is zero relief in the neck, so that is why I want to quarter turn the rod
    And sometimes a bit of relief can make a guitar play better regardless of the frets...