Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    Whitecat said:
    Twinfan said:
    Probably not, I'm sure there are others.

If anyone is tempted though, it's a great time to buy at prices we're unlikely to see again.
    This is precisely all it is... 

And for flippers (who are a little bit patient, the market will need to correct itself over time) R9s tend to Philly_Q said:
    terada said:
    Twinfan said:
    Blimey, nice and light like my R8  :)

Where was that for sale?

GAK, but it was the only light one they had - will definitely be taking off the medallion to get my extra 1.3oz ;) 

Good work.  Very good work indeed.
    Are you sure it isn't set to kg?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Fishboy7 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Twinfan said:

If anyone is tempted though, it's a great time to buy at prices we're unlikely to see again.

And for flippers (who are a little bit patient, the market will need to correct itself over time) R9s tend to Philly_Q said:
    terada said:
    Twinfan said:

Where was that for sale?

GAK, but it was the only light one they had - will definitely be taking off the medallion to get my extra 1.3oz ;) 

That would make it 17lb 8 oz !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    mort said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Twinfan said:

terada said:
    Twinfan said:

Where was that for sale?

That would make it 17lb 8 oz !!
    Lightweight compared to a Norlin then ;)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Whitecat said:
    Very nice @terada!

Mercifully for my bank balance and my marriage the R9 I fancied most has now gone... so I’m off the hook for the time being. 

Now, how does that Rounded-C neck carve on Memphis ES models compare to the 59 carve on my R8? grin 
    Beautifully - and the 335 look like this...

(sorry, couldn't resist being the voice of temptation)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    Very nice @terada!

Mercifully for my bank balance and my marriage the R9 I fancied most has now gone... so I’m off the hook for the time being. 

Now, how does that Rounded-C neck carve on Memphis ES models compare to the 59 carve on my R8? grin 
    Beautifully - and the 335 look like this...

(sorry, couldn't resist being the voice of temptation)

That 335 is outrageous.

The neck on my 2018 335 figured isn’t a million miles from my 2013 R8. Slightly slimmer in depth but similar shape/shoulders.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    edited September 2018
    More R9s and R0s for sale at GAK now. And 2 2018 models included in the sale! Tops weren’t that great on the 2018s though. Think one might already be sold. 
  • hyperben said:
    More R9s and R0s for sale at GAK now. And 2 2018 models included in the sale! Tops weren’t that great on the 2018s though. Think one might already be sold. 
    2018 R8 = small vintage frets though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Just spent a bit of time in GG Glasgow playing a stunning looking Tobacco R9

I’m now sitting in a pub round the corner having a pint, and a word to myself.

Can I really justify it having bought an R8?

and some of the Washed Cherries look superb in the flesh, which I was really surprised to think.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:

and some of the Washed Cherries look superb in the flesh, which I was really surprised to think.
    If you go back in will you let me know which Cherry looked good as it's hard to judge by photos and I don't like returning stuff
    Cheers

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    dbphoto said:

I'm so glad I just bought the R9 at the start.  If I'd gone for the R8, I would still have wanted the R9.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Nowt wrong with having both  ;)
    I didn’t go back.

The conclusion, which I had already reached I suppose, is that for me at least £1000 more for flames is not justifiable, especially when I really like pretty much everything about my R8.

There was two really lovely Tobacco, a surprising amount of stunning Cherry, but the all the Iced Tea were a bit crap and uninteresting.
  • dbphoto said:
    I didn’t go back.

The conclusion, which I had already reached I suppose, is that for me at least £1000 more for flames is not justifiable, especially when I really like pretty much everything about my R8.

There was two really lovely Tobacco, a surprising amount of stunning Cherry, but the all the Iced Tea were a bit crap and uninteresting.
    I'm sort of coming to same conclusion as you - as the specs are identical if I want a flamey guitar I'll go PRS and have a bit of variety
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And that’s the thing, I have never been one to have two of the same type of guitar, and two basically identical guitars that just look different, but have a price difference of £1000 is not for me.
    Oh, and I was really surprised at the difference in the VOS finish across so many of them.

Some bodies looked much more glossy than others and the hardware varied from looking almost new to heavily aged.
  • I personally can't justify £3,500 for a Les Paul anyway, no matter how stunning they are. I have a limit and it's around £2300-2500. Any higher and I start thinking how much vinyl that could buy....but that's me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    dbphoto said:
    I’ve always felt massively underwhelmed by flame top iced teas in the flesh. When photographed they look great, but in person. Likewise washed cherry doesn’t photograph that well but looks incredible in the flesh with a flame top.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I see GuitarGuitar are now down to 33 R9s - they've sold 6 since yesterday when I was checking for a mate.  I think they had over 60 originally?  Also, Andertons and Kenny's Music have sold all theirs.

Looks like GG may be able to sell all theirs without discounting them further...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=custom+shop+1959+gibson&Filters.Ordering=4&Filters.Brand=&Filters.MinPrice=0&Filters.MaxPrice=4000&Filters.InStockOnly=True&Filters.InStockOnly=false

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    We have to remember that even at £3499 they are a pretty massive bargain compared to new. If the R8 deal did not exist then we’d all probably be going totally mental for these. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yup.  And now the R8 deal has all but gone and word is getting around about the R9s, they're selling.