Flats for Rock & Roll also country music???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Slap? I’d rather stick pins in my pot shaft!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I tried playing an upright once... it was like holding a shed with a tree growing out of the top. I could barely get my hand round the neck, it was about 2” deep. It was all I could do to get two notes out of it, and luckily that’s all the song needed... after that I passed it over to someone else!

Leo Fender is my personal hero for several reasons. This is one of them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    JezWynd said:
    Flats will work for everything, except perhaps hard rock and metal but even then with a bit of eq'ing and maybe a pedal they'd be fine. So much easier on the fingers.
    Actually, the best metal ever recorded is flats. 
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    I have use flats with punk rock, but.... problem was the feeling, I liked the sound but I felt the strings so strange that I couldn't handle it, so I moved back to round wounds. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited October 2018
    I've played bass in a country band for the last 3 years and use flats on a Precision or Mustang.

EDIT: I like D'Addario Chromes best.
    Keefy said:
    I've played bass in a country band for the last 3 years and use flats on a Precision or Mustang.
    On a Mustang I would imagine there's a high risk of breakage where they kink through almost a right angle at the bridge plate... I've broken a couple on machineheads if the full winding reaches the slot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    On a Mustang I would imagine there's a high risk of breakage where they kink through almost a right angle at the bridge plate... I've broken a couple on machineheads if the full winding reaches the slot.
    Nope, I am on my second Mustang bass with flats. I was aware this could be an issue, but it never has been for me. Bear in mind that although the Mustang bass has a 30in scale length, you need 32in strings to accommodate the extra length through the body. As for your breakage-at-machineheads problem, avoid by not using long-scale (34in) strings.

Here's me with my MIM Pawn Shop Mustang a couple of years ago - the venue is a Mairie in central France:

Keefy said:

Here's me with my MIM Pawn Shop Mustang a couple of years ago - the venue is a Mairie in central France:
    I had one of those recently. If you - like I did - find it too thick and a bit muddy-sounding, rewire the pickup for parallel instead of series. It made a huge difference to the tone, and less than I expected to the volume.

In the end I couldn't get on with the thick body though - a friend is now lending me an original '72 one with the normal thinner contoured body. I'm using standard Rotosound Roto Bass on it, they seem fine even at the tuners.

ICBM said:
    Keefy said:

I had one of those recently. If you - like I did - find it too thick and a bit muddy-sounding, rewire the pickup for parallel instead of series. It made a huge difference to the tone, and less than I expected to the volume.

That's exactly what I did! The bass instantly sounded much better, and you could back off the tone control without losing the upper mids.

I now have a MIM FSR, which is even nicer:

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Reverend said:
    JezWynd said:
    Flats will work for everything, except perhaps hard rock and metal but even then with a bit of eq'ing and maybe a pedal they'd be fine. So much easier on the fingers.
    Actually, the best metal ever recorded is flats. 
    Steve Harris uses (very heavy) flats.

Lynott used flats too.