Treble Boosters ?

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
edited September 2018 in FX
Been looking at Treble Boosters, was after a Mooer sized one.

Crikey !  Real cork-shiffing territory !!!!!

EH Screaming Bird is very reasonable, but the rest are in boutique category.

Anyone got any recommendations or feedback on the EH SB ?
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    edited September 2018
    This might not be exactly what you are looking for but I picked up a Tone City Mandragora which is a Mooer sized clone of the Lovepedal Kalamazoo. The pre/glass controls act like treble boosters. Its a bit fiddly because there is so much treble available but I managed to get some nice tones from it both into a clean amp and boosting a dirt channel. Its also pretty cheap so its worth checking out some videos online. 
  • Is it something you need permanently or for a gig? I've got a Gojitone Houst Boost you could borrow.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm assuming by Treble Booster you are thinking Brian May, Rory Gallgher, Mick Ronson type thing? If so I believe they are more of an "upper mid boost" rather than treble as such.

The Screaming Bird is without doubt the worst sounding effect pedal I have ever had the misfortune to own, or listen to. It is atrocious. It cuts any bass you may have and turns your sound into something akin to playing a guitar through the intercom system we use in our office to let people in off the street. A truly awful sound that I could not think of one single possible use for. Maybe it could work if mixed in parallel with something else, who knows. Terrible terrible effect.

Back to the standard treble boost topic, you may be able to use an EQ pedal to get the same result if you boost the upper mid frequencies from there, though it won't have the "character" that the 70s treble boosters had maybe as I think they used germanium transistors etc.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited September 2018
    Permanent addition to pedal board (smallish - hence desire for Mooer sized) @Guitar_Slinger Ta.

And yes, the Rory/Brian/etc sound

Beano Boost would be perfect but ..... >£200 fergedaboutit !

Oh and this from TPS ...

EDIT: the bit at the end of the video where TPS guys drive a distortion pedal with a TB through a clean amp is awesome !

Feedback
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Check out the Black Country Customs (Laney) Ti boost. Supposedly modelled after Tony's Rangemaster, but with added eq and gain controls if you want to use them. It cuts the bass and pushes the mids nicely, sounds immense through my LA30BL. Or any other amp i've tried it with. 
    Its not Mooer sized though. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited September 2018
    Just get a clone from eBay for around £50. They are simple circuits, I went down the Treble boost rabbit hole for a while and the big bucks ones like the Analogman Beano Boost are ‘better’ but it is such a small difference unless you use it as your main sound I wouldn’t bother getting into it.

The Catalinbread Naga Viper or clone of it is a great place to start.

Obviously they all sound shite into a clean amp, slightly crunch Marshall or in front of a drive pedal is the only way to go imo.
  • I quite fancy the Black Country Customs TI Boost. Still £118 and I have no real use for it. Probably just because it has Black Country in the name but it's a modded treble booster so, I think, a bit more versatile.

I don't know wether it's worth asking one of the builders on here. A treble booster seems to be a relatively simple thing that they could build into a small enclosure. But what do I know. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jalapeno said:
    Permanent addition to pedal board (smallish - hence desire for Mooer sized) @Guitar_Slinger Ta.

And yes, the Rory/Brian/etc sound

Beano Boost would be perfect but ..... >£200 fergedaboutit !

Oh and this from TPS ...

I have one of the DWJ treble boosters featured in this episode. He only makes them in small batches. Fully handwired etc. Pm me if you’re interested.
    Mooer / 1592A size is nice to have

Feedback
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I quite fancy the Black Country Customs TI Boost. Still £118 and I have no real use for it. Probably just because it has Black Country in the name but it's a modded treble booster so, I think, a bit more versatile.

It works really well as a stand alone drive pedal too. Not a huge amount of gain (unless you run both drive and volume up full) but sounds great. I'm crap at describing things really but it sounds quite rough and grainy, about the same amount of gain as a tubescreamer up full but sounds quite different. Plus you can really tailor the bass and treble quite radically if you want. 
  • @EricTheWeary In terms of building, they'd be easy to do:

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Brian_May_Treble_Boost/p847124_6605820.aspx
    https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Hot_Snake_Treble_Boost/p847124_12272808.aspx
    https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Range_Master_Germanium_Treble_Boost/p847124_7396874.aspx

They are really simple circuits, and the May and Rangemaster ones fit in a 1590A, no problem. You'd need to add an additional circuit in the traditional rangemaster one if you wanted to daisy chain it.
    Beyond my soldering skills, especially adding a circuit </clueless>

Feedback
    s/h 2 knob Keeley Java Boost is looking favourite at the moment.

Feedback
  • Matt_McG said:
    @EricTheWeary In terms of building, they'd be easy to do:

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Brian_May_Treble_Boost/p847124_6605820.aspx
    https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Hot_Snake_Treble_Boost/p847124_12272808.aspx
    https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Range_Master_Germanium_Treble_Boost/p847124_7396874.aspx

They are really simple circuits, and the May and Rangemaster ones fit in a 1590A, no problem. You'd need to add an additional circuit in the traditional rangemaster one if you wanted to daisy chain it.
    I've built and used the Brian May TB from PedalParts.

Easy build and sounds great into an already crunchy amp.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I have a Home Brew Electronics Germanium 44 that I'd happily sell. 

Feedback
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited September 2018
    Java Boost will do. Unless you run an already dirty amp there is little use for one. I foud most a bit too gritty. Prefer an SD-1 which is arguably more versatile too.