To mod or not to mod (that is the question)

What's Hot
I’ve got a Squier Standard Strat that was a gift around 10-12 years ago. Wondering if I should upgrade pickups, tuners etc or just sell it . Do you think it’s worth spending money on ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Is it worth spending money on to recoup later? No. You'll never get back what you spend on upgrades.

Is it worth messing about with, on the understanding that it won't be worth selling later? Yes. You can get it how you want, learn new stuff, and have a guitar very personal to you, just as long as you know it's not an investment. I have a Suier Standard Tele that's getting the same treatment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10354
    tFB Trader
    I have Two Squire Standard Teles ... both modded to blazes ... love em
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Sell it.  Get a Fender Classic Player 50's.  Best strats under a grand.  Awesome guitars.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5742
    edited September 2018
    If it feels great but you feel a little let down by certain parts of it, it’s definitely worth it, if you’ll then keep and use it. 

If you don’t really care for it but think you might if
    you spend money, chances are it’ll just be a more costly guitar you still don’t really like. 
  • DeeTee said:
    Is it worth spending money on to recoup later? No. You'll never get back what you spend on upgrades.

Is it worth messing about with, on the understanding that it won't be worth selling later? Yes. You can get it how you want, learn new stuff, and have a guitar very personal to you, just as long as you know it's not an investment. I have a Suier Standard Tele that's getting the same treatment.
    Sorry, should have added that I wouldn’t be trying to recoup costs, it would be a keeper if I spend on it.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    DeeTee said:

Sorry, should have added that I wouldn’t be trying to recoup costs, it would be a keeper if I spend on it.
    Oh, then totally. What dazzalj says is good. It's fun to mess about with!
  • My first guitar was a Standard Squier Strat. It’s been modded to hell and back over the last few years, but now it’s up there with the best strats I’ve ever played. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Thanks for all the reply’s. I think I’ll keep it and have a play !
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10354
    tFB Trader
    My Squier Standard Strat update schedule ... do a you have the dosh ... 
    First: Upgrade bridge to a Wilkinson with the nice steel block ... tone will be 100% better.
    Next: bin the pots, wiring and output jack ... fit CTS pots, CRL switch, and switchcraft output jack ... sprague orange drop  cap. tone control for bridge pickup mod (really worth it).
    Sort the nut ... professionally if you can afford it ... and fit split shaft vintage style tuners. 
    Last ... look at pickups. No need to go mad ... an okay set of alnico 5 vintage wound needn't cost the earth ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SporkySporky Frets: 28131
    edited September 2018
    Then the question is whether it's a good enough guitar to justify putting money into  or if you'll enjoy the free enough to justify the spend.

If either is a "yes" then go for it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I agree with @sporky post.  if it's a good enough guitar to justify putting money into, do it.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    edited September 2018
    Look upon it as a learning exercise. These replacement parts all cost money, but fitting and using each one is an education. You learn how to maintain and modify an instrument, and you learn from experience what each component brings. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.