Rosewood Fretboard Wear to Truss Rod?

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
Hi

Got to play a friend's 1950's Goldtop today, lovely thing with typical for age fretboard wear.

One thing I noticed the wear in places looked suspiciously straight - has anyone heard of a rosewood board wearing so it starts to cave into the truss rod channel? Is this even possible?

(Don't want to scare him unduly)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16629
    peteri said:
    Hi

Got to play a friend's 1950's Goldtop today, lovely thing with typical for age fretboard wear.

One thing I noticed the wear in places looked suspiciously straight - has anyone heard of a rosewood board wearing so it starts to cave into the truss rod channel? Is this even possible?

(Don't want to scare him unduly)
    there isn't a truss rod channel under the fretboard on a gibson.  there is a maple fillet like this

real wear patterns often are different to the patterns we get used to seeing replicated so often
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Brilliant! Good job I kept me mouth shut

thanks!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    It's possible for a Fender round-lam board to wear through to the maple - though not to the truss rod - if it's been planed too much during refretting and then it wears... I had a '69 Tele which had, in a couple of spots.

But there's no chance whatever of wearing through the middle of a Gibson fingerboard - it's about 1/4" thick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein