Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need some Mental Help!

What's Hot
I need some advice no matter how much its going to hurt. I think I already no the answer but think I need to be told.

About three months ago I purchased a PRS CE24, its lovely the tones are amazing, the quality is outstanding I cant say enough good things about it, so I'm happy that I paid £1900 for it. However, a Scottish friend of mine (who lives in the middle of nowhere) asked if I could sell his MIM Fender Stratocaster 60's player in sonic blue, it has dings and scuffs all over and wanted a "collection only" so the buyer could see the true state of the guitar. He only wanted £300.

So, I take the guitar home and of course I plug it in and well.....I haven't put it down and now transferred my friend £300, as she is an amazing guitar to play.

I problem is this, I have a £2000 guitar which I love but just sits there while I play this beat up Strat. It bugs me because I feel I should play it because of the price I paid. I don't want to sell it because of two reasons, one I love the PRS (not that I play it, now) and secondly I would loose loads of money on it. 

So has anyone else been in this situation that can help my mental issues?

Dan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    It's OK to have two (or more) guitars, and it's OK to prefer the cheaper (or cheapest) one. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps your playing style is simply more suited to a Strat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    If you don’t need the money just hold onto the PRS. You’ll play it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • You are totally in danger of letting the PRS go only to have to post in every "the one that got away" thread that pops up.

I have a 1964 precision which I love to bits, but some of my cheaper basses get so much more play time - doesn't mean the 64 is going or I feel bad about it. I pick it up from time to time and play it, and it feels special and I appreciate it's qualities when I do. 

Horses for courses. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Dont worry, I presently prefer playing my £300 fret king over my Gibson's, however I'll never sell them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    These things go in cycles. I have several expensive electrics and acoustics which I currently don’t play. They’ve been needed for previous bands/projects, and their turn will come again. If I sold them I’d lose money. I’d certainly regret it when the need for that type of guitar re-emerges.

As @Simon_M says, unless you’re on the breadline, don’t worry about it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Look up the term "sunken cost fallacy". Being aware of that phenomenon helps me avoid it.

Also, you might want to play it again a few years down the line.

P.s. How do you know the Strat was female?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Look up the term "sunken cost fallacy". Being aware of that phenomenon helps me avoid it.

Also, you might want to play it again a few years down the line.

P.s. How do you know the Strat was female?

A) Because no man could ever feel that nice.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    IME: beat-up* Strat>pretty much anything

*≠relic!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Give it time.
    My Strat is currently back in prime position, having spent the past 18 months hardly being touched to the point I was wondering if it would be worth selling.

However I plugged the Strat in a couple weeks ago, and remembered just how different it sounds and feels to my other guitars. I wouldn't say it's better or worse, it's just different and happens to suit what I've been playing lately better.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    I have been in exactly that place. Not a PRS but a Duesenberg (so much nicer ;) )

The Strat that turned up is a also a really beat up Mexi for well under £300 and for months I played nothing else but this new love. 

After about 6 months the honeymoon started to wear off and I went back to the others with a little new appreciation. That beaten up old Strat is still my favourite but the playing time is much more evenly spread out. 

Dont feel bad, just enjoy the feeling you’re getting from the CP right now and your amazing PRS will still be just that in a few months time 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Give it time.  Anything different can be refreshing and even inspirational.

I flip between loving strats and Les pauls fairly often.  I had both when learning, and what I learnt in each still influences the way I play the different styles.

I can be sure I love one for a while, then I pick up the other. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, think of them as tools to achieve a particular sound. 

You need a (albeit) limited set to achieve all the sounds you want to..
  • You can’t put a price on a good time my friend!

One time, I had this girlfriend, visually the best I’ve ever had, expensive, nice style, slim but with curves in the right places and an absolute sculpture of a rack. I mean damn near perfect. 

She was a joy to have nocturnal activities with the first time. 

Then I realised she was stale and horrendous at even kissing.
    But the relationship was ok, a bit one sided in her favour, but she made for some excellent astonomy talk. 

Skip forward a year, a long term flaky girl mate comes over. A lot of mileage on the old girl, and it showed. A bit roughed up but she gave as good as she got. 

By gum that was a mindblowing session of swinging from the chandeliers.   

Moral of the story, you have both. 

Enjoy them for what they are. The guitars that is.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerx said:
    You can’t put a price on a good time my friend!

One time, I had this girlfriend, visually the best I’ve ever had, expensive, nice style, slim but with curves in the right places and an absolute sculpture of a rack. I mean damn near perfect. 

But the relationship was ok, a bit one sided in her favour, but she made for some excellent astonomy talk. 

Skip forward a year, a long term flaky girl mate comes over. A lot of mileage on the old girl, and it showed. A bit roughed up but she gave as good as she got. 

That's awesome!! Made me smile, in real life! not just a fake lol
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    You're not alone in that kind of dilemma, I have a nice '04 LP Standard that I rarely play as I prefer to pick up my cheaper LP '70's Tribute. Would I ever sell the Standard as I don't often take it out of its case, NO! It was always a dream guitar to own so it's staying, I'll get to playing it more often at some point but for now the Trib is getting all the attention.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    edited September 2018
    skunkwerx said:
    You can’t put a price on a good time my friend!

That's awesome!! Made me smile, in real life! not just a fake lol
    Excellent! My job is complete! 

In all seriousness though, enjoy both guitars man as and when you do! 

There is always a ‘honeymoon period’ with new stuff as well, but you’ll probably find that the Prs has aspects you love, and so does the strat. 

For me I think I’d play more carefully with a £2k guitar, always a little anxious maybe.. but would happily let loose and thrash about some with a guitar thats already worn in that I also know didnt cost me a bunch, and won’t upset me if it takes a few knocks. 

Either way I’d get different kinds of fun out of both! And as long as you’re having fun, then there is no right or wrong regarding guitar playing or owning, (in my humble opinion of course). 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Mood can affect which guitar I want to play at any given time so much. I don't even mean specific moods, just that at any random time I could prefer any of my guitars.

I really noticed cause a few weeks ago I was saying to my friend that I'd been playing my Strat and realised that, while it's okay having other sound flavours available, I just much preferred my Strat to any other guitars. But then not long later I picked up the Strat and just wasn't really feeling it so tried a LP and it was perfect at that moment. That's when I realised that it was only at that particular time that the Strat was the perfect guitar for me.

So while you're currently loving the Strat, any one day you might feel that you need the PRS.

So, don't sell it just because it's not being used right now. But also, on the "sunken cost fallacy" thing I mentioned, don't feel forced to play it just because you have already paid for it - just play the Strat until such a time comes where you genuinely want to play the PRS instead.
  • I’m stuck in a constant cycle of guitar rotation. That requires a thread of its own, but I feel your pain.

I find nearly every guitar I get has its own cycle too: excitement, burst of enthusiasm, shame, regret, guilt, sell...buy. And so on.

All this (which includes cheaper guitars to high end PRS) and my 70s SG remains, and it’s  wonderful, but still can’t become #1.

I want to stop at the SG, a single coiler (PRS DC3 at the moment) and another twin humbucker. Logic tells me that latter shouldn’t even enter the equation. But...

Can you afford to keep them all? Will dust-gathering provoke pangs of unassuagable guilt? Only you know.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent