SG Jr P90 Suggestions

What's Hot
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a P90 for my SG Jr. The current Gibson one is very 'nasally', which I know is the whole P90 thing, but is there any suggestions for anything with a little more clarity?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    P90 wise we are quite lucky in this country, oilcity are ace, bare knuckle, and montys, as well as mojo pickups. All offer incredible p90s. Overseas, I love Tyson pickups. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Got an Oil City P90 in my LP TV Model, definitely not nasal sounding, a lot of brightness and clarity available.
  • Oil City Jin-go: best sounding P90 I've tried.
    A direct comparison (two otherwise identical guitars side by side) shocked me. 
    It was like the difference between cassette & cd- same music, but better clarity & definition. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    I purchased a single P90 Feline Lion (LP Junior style) from Jon a while ago - spec'd with a Bare Knuckle Nantucket and I love it - Have a 60's SG Junior + Epiphone Coronet available to compare it to and it stands up to them both admirably regarding tonal character
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Could be worth asking @miserneil what's on this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1996830/#Comment_1996830

Might be worth trying an aluminium tailpiece too, adds a bit of zing and is part of the traditional Junior sound
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    There are no bad P90s wound by the major UK winders ... I'll guarantee you that. Just different sounds ... as we all have a slightly different idea of what a good P90 should be. For my own tastes, steer clear of some of the more overwound examples by Far Eastern companies ... they loose top end sparkle, and avoid anything that purports to be hum cancelling: to my ears no stacked P90 ever sounds 'right'.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Could be worth asking @miserneil what's on this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1996830/#Comment_1996830

Might be worth trying an aluminium tailpiece too, adds a bit of zing and is part of the traditional Junior sound
    Cheers @roberty, that's an Oil City Firewatch in there. Coupled with a Faber aluminium bridge which, I believe, adds a great deal to the overall tone of a junior type guitar.

As Ash says though, there are no bad P90's made in the UK, just different flavours. My two favourites are Oil City and Mojo. I'll be ordering a couple of Tyson Tone P90s for comparison soon.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    It's well worth converting to 50's wiring too while you're at it, if you want to work the volume knob