A proper head scratcher...

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Look at Ghost diagrams.  There is one for active pickups that shows a ground on the Ghost board.  I've been trying to post it but it keeps getting stopped for approval
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    ICBM said:
    Sorry, (you won't like this) I am very much of the opinion that all this sort of complexity and trying to get multiple incompatible active systems to work together is just a pain in the arse, and essentially what octatonic said pictorially...

It makes a good hat though:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKing said:
    Look at Ghost diagrams.  There is one for active pickups that shows a ground on the Ghost board.  I've been trying to post it but it keeps getting stopped for approval
    Yeah I’ve got that one. After removing the mag and Preamp completely though it’s not the root of the issue. It’s clearly the power connection to ring
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    What happens if you put the black lead from the battery to ground?  Do you get sound then?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    You may have to replace the jack with one of the Fishman ones designed for multiple-pickup electro-acoustics - it's a barrel jack, but with a fourth connection, where a second ring would be. They use this as the battery switch so the tip and ring can be both used for signals - in your case you would just leave the normal ring unconnected.

They aren't available in the flat-rim type of barrel jack as far as I know, you would need to fit a nut and washer on the end, which wouldn't look quite as neat...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    it's def. the connection to ring that is the issue.
    Have you positively identified which solder tag on the jack is tip and which is ring? I've seen some jacks where the short one (normally tip) is actually the ring connection.

Otherwise the only way to go is to test each part in isolation before combining bits one by one, testing as you go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM - Axetec seem to do this one:

Which has there connections:

Is that the same as the Fishman - as it's got a separate tab for Ring by the looks of it..

• PhilKing said:
    What happens if you put the black lead from the battery to ground?  Do you get sound then?
    Yes, same whining - no different if connected to Ring - presumably because the socket connects the Ring and Sleeve on the jack anyway
    Yes, that will work - although it looks like a lower-quality jack than the Switchcraft, it looks like the typical far-east version.

Connect the battery to 'Jack Barrell' and leave 'Jack Centre' unconnected.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• it's def. the connection to ring that is the issue.
    Have you positively identified which solder tag on the jack is tip and which is ring? I've seen some jacks where the short one (normally tip) is actually the ring connection.

Otherwise the only way to go is to test each part in isolation before combining bits one by one, testing as you go.
    No - I shall try that
  • ICBM said:
    Yes, that will work - although it looks like a lower-quality jack than the Switchcraft, it looks like the typical far-east version.

Connect the battery to 'Jack Barrell' and leave 'Jack Centre' unconnected.
    Is it worth getting the fishman one for the quality or just stick to the cheaper one?
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    You may have to replace the jack with one of the Fishman ones designed for multiple-pickup electro-acoustics - it's a barrel jack, but with a fourth connection,
    I think this is probably the solution. If the system is designed to give separate output of piezo and mag then the ring is used for one of the signals and can't be used to switch the power.

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/acousti-phonic-kit.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    Bridgehouse said:

Is it worth getting the fishman one for the quality or just stick to the cheaper one?
    The cheaper one is easier to fit, and even the 'good' ones are a bit crap, so I would probably go with the cheap one. And a spare or two :).

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited September 2018
    What happens if you temporarily ignore the ring and wire the battery negative to ground?
  • normula1 said:
    What happens if you temporarily ignore the ring and wire the battery negative to ground?
    Same.

I've just even done a masking tape special and connected ground and battery negative directly to the sleeve on the jack and the tip to the tip - so in effect cutting out the socket and the ring on the Boss completely, and still exactly the same..
  • @ICBM - given connecting battery and ground to the sleeve and tip to tip still resulted in noise - would the 4 prong jack isolate the battery sufficiently for it to work?

edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    It looks like you have got the red "tip" wire going (via a black extension) to ground?

I think you should go back to the diagram and wire as described.
    http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/acousti-phonic-kit.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    The white "switch" wire appears to disconnect from the jack tip when the jack is inserted (I don't know what its function is) so maybe you can safely leave it isolated?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited September 2018
    It looks like you have got the red "tip" wire going (via a black extension) to ground?

I think you should go back to the diagram and wire as described.
    The white "switch" wire appears to disconnect from the jack tip when the jack is inserted (I don't know what its function is) so maybe you can safely leave it isolated?
    You made me go look again then

On my board Tip is blue and Ring is red - 

Because it’s a TRS jack, I’m following this graphtech wiring diagram - 
    http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/trs-jack.pdf?sfvrsn=2
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Why not just make up an extra interface box, like the one with Variax guitars, to convert the one to the other.
  • prowla said:
    Why not just make up an extra interface box, like the one with Variax guitars, to convert the one to the other.
    Do you mean external to the bass?