Clear pickguard shielding.

I am thinking about putting a clear pickguard on my guitar, the guitar electronics are front mounted onto the plate, I'm aware that the wiring etc will be exposed but I am unsure as to the shielding requirements. Help..
My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    You can't shield a clear pickguard and keep it clear - shielding needs to be conductive. Whether you need to shield it or not depends very much on the pickups you plan to use.

What you need to make sure you do is physically connect all pots to ground by running a wire between them - often this wire is omitted when a pickguard shield is used as the shield serves as the connection. It's not a bad idea to run a wire even with a shield as it is a more effective way of ensuring continuity than relying on the mechanical connection of the pots - they can work loose.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    You can do it if you use shielded wiring for everything inside the guitar - then you don't need to shield the cavities as well. In fact, if you use Gibson-type exposed-braid cloth wire it should look really nice. As Gagaryn said you will need to make the connections that are usually done via the shielding foil - between the pot casings, and to the switch frame - but you should be able to arrange to do that with the wire shielding as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• You could coat the clear pickguard with a layer of indium tin oxide. You’d need access to some pretty sophisticated equipment though!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I considered suggesting graphene...