Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Other than Bare Knuckle & Oil City, what are some other Strat pup recommendations?

I’ve just started a Strat project - body from Guitarbuild, neck from Warmoth, finish from Wudtone.

I know what I’m doing for all other parts, but I don’t really know what to do regarding pickups.

Im currently favouring Bare Knuckle ‘59 Slab boards, just because I know of BKPs reputation, and I like the sound clips.

I often hear people going on about Oil City, but I have no idea how good they are, nor have I ever heard them

Are there any other brands I should be considering? Completely open to suggestions at this point.
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    If you want noiseless, then you could look a Mojotone.  The Quiet Coils sound just like a regular Strat, but with no hum.  I've also used Bulldog and I've had Mojo (not to be confused with Mojotone) pickups and been very happy with them.  Just never tried his Strats.

Most of my Strats have Bare Knuckles in them and the 59 Slabs are really nice.  Lollar also make some very nice Strat pickups (the Blackface do sound really good).
  • Have a look at Radioshop.
  • Used set of Klein 59's if you can find them. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    My favourite stray pickups I have tried (which is not many) are fender 57/62s. 
  • @Travisthedog has a set of Mojos going atm.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Rocketfire Total 60's
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    +1 for Radioshop, also take a look at House of Tone
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • Have a look at the Ironstone pickups. Small timer producer from Rutland. I dropped a set of the ‘Alnico V Silver’ in an old Squier Affinity Strat and what a difference ! Great sound at a relatively low price. Several sound clips on the website.  https://ironstone-guitar-pickups.co.uk/strat-sound-clips-silver/
  • Definitely mojo pickups without a doubt
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Mark Foley - not cheap but my god they are the biz if you are looking for a vintage tone. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    +1 for mojo I have a tele withbthem in and a LP special with p90’s and they are cracking...

but

+1 for oil city... have another tele with those in and they are great as well...

but

two of my strats have pups by “pribora” in them... and they are simply superb... and sooooooo cheap!... I replaced fralins in both strats with his pickups!... really worth taking a punt on the pribora stuff...
  • Iron Gear - great pickups, great prices.
  • For a proper vintage almost underpowered sound I really like Kleins. I’ve got Mojos in my Tokai and they are nice too but sound more hi-fi to my ears if that makes any sense.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    +1 for radio shop  mojo  klein  lollar etc etc etc etc  spoilt for choice and as long as you like the "flavour" you cant go wrong with any of them really
  • I have a set of fat 60's Mojo's for sale. PM me if interested.
  • Tonerider are worth a look. Inexpensive but decent 
  • Thanks for all the responses, people.

I gave Radioshop a call, and they were very helpful, but I wasn’t blown away by the sound clips of the pickups that he recommended for me.

I’ve placed an order for a full set of Bare Knuckle ‘59 slabboards with zinc base plates.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • I'll throw in a suggestion for Lollar and Lindy Fralin's.

Also, not so popular in these days when the more boutique pickup makers are all the rage, but can't go far wrong with the classic Seymour Duncan SSL-1/SSL-5 combo.