Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cleaning Paraphernalia

What's Hot
Hi folks - my old cleaning kit got lost in a house move a couple of years back.

It consisted of naphtha, brasso and lem oil.

What’s in yours? And can anyone recommend standard stuff that I can pick up in DIY shops as I won’t get near a guitar shop for a while.

Cheers 
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2018
    I use 0000 wire wool on the frets, lemon oil, Dunlop guitar polish and naphtha.
    And a good soft cloth- I usually use the same type of cloths I use for French polishing.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Some little 2" square micromesh pads for polishing frets, Gerlitz Guitar Honey for fretboards and No1 wax to polish. I occasionally use a bottle of Gibson polish when there's any really stubborn marks to sort, but otherwise that's all.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @Iamnobody if you've got naphtha (lighter fluid) you do not need lemon oil as it'll do the same thing for your fretboard.  If I'm doing a six monthly on my guitars I'll condition them with MusicNomad F-One Oil which works on all woods.  

I use a detailer for a regular clean up with a micro fibre cloth.

If I'm doing a six monthly, or pre-guitar clean.  I'll use Meguiars' clay bar with detailer to lift bits of crap off the finish, then wipe it clean with the detailing micro fibre cloth.  I'll then wax the body and leave that to mist up while I set about the scratch plate area.  I'll then shine up the wax and give it another going over with the detailer.  After this process the guitar will look showroom fresh.   I learnt this process from Metal Mike 
    Chlasciak, which he used before a tour.  

I believe that @Clarky will be able to vouch for how well the system works.   If you wish I am more than happy to recommend products that will suit this process.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    @Handsome_Chris , did anything come of the ideas that you were discussing at WaterRats, for some sort of fretboard cleaning kits (and guidance) ? I for one would still be very interested 

• PMed
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Think this might be the first time I've seen that word used without it basically meaning "a bong"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @sev112 there is stuff going on behind the scenes as we speak .  Hopefully there should be some news soon.  I've had a bit on with work and mortgage stuff .
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited September 2018
    Thanks all for the ideas.

It’s important to clean off the previous owner’s finger cheese when buying a used guitar.

Not that I’m OCD about these things...

@thegummy

paraphernalia
    ˌparəfəˈneɪlɪə/
    noun
    1. miscellaneous articles, especially the equipment needed for a particular activity.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • "Finger cheese" is now my favourite music-related saying. I have an Ibanez electro - acoustic that came from the shop covered in the stuff and didn't have a word for it. I do now. 

As for Parapehernalia I have been depending upon Fast fret ( which I love ) and the usual Pledge / equivalent. This thread has given me the idea of trying some Meguiars on an older guitar to see if it works. ( I have a load of it in the workshop for fibreglass work ) If it does I'll have a go with it on the drum kits as well. 

• Gibson cleaner, Dunlop lemon oil, Fast Fret
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    ....if you've got naphtha (lighter fluid) you do not need lemon oil as it'll do the same thing for your fretboard.
    Can you explain this a bit further?

I thought lighter fluid was to clean and strip while lemon oil will condition?
    Those cube type sticks your wife uses to polish her nails are great for polishing fretwork, much like the micro-mesh, except you can get them in Boots (or your wifes hand-bag).
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    edited September 2018
    does naptha smell and can you use it on a maple fretboard?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ColsCols Frets: 6995
    Lemon oil, straight edged razor blade, 0000 grade wire wool, 800 and 1000 grit emery, Brasso, expanding dental floss and Big Bends nut sauce.  And masking tape.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6995
    fftc said:
    ....if you've got naphtha (lighter fluid) you do not need lemon oil as it'll do the same thing for your fretboard.

Lemon oil is basically similar to lighter fluid with some added lemon scent to make it smell nice.  It both helps to remove the aforementioned finger cheese and conditions the fretboard.  

@hootsmon - naphtha (or lemon oil) shouldn’t be used on a maple fretboard.  It’ll strip the finish.
    Cols said:
    fftc said:

Lemon oil is basically similar to lighter fluid with some added lemon scent to make it smell nice.  It both helps to remove the aforementioned finger cheese and conditions the fretboard.  

I've got lemon oil and I've got lighter fluid. I do not think one is a lemon scented version of the other!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    I got that pack a few weeks back and it's been great. I also have a bottle of the Gibson polish and that does me fine.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    edited September 2018
    Lighter fluid, Dr Ducks Axe Wax, fretboard conditioning oil, nut sauce for friction points. Polishing cloths, microfibre cloths