What are the best headphone practice devices?

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1463
I have been using a Boss Micro BR for years and have some great sounds dialled in but is there something better for around the £200 mark?

I have done the line 6 thing and don't like them and don't like the iPad / computer solution so it has to be a device on its own, doesn't need to record but that is handy for playing over loops. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Does it have to be little? 
    I'd go for a Zoom G3 or something like that, just so that it would have uses besides being great for practicing. Can't really fit it in a guitar case, though....
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited April 2014
    The Vox headphones are good if you want really, really basic sounds and to be able to play along with an aux.source. I have the Twin version and it's just a lead from the headphones into the guitar. It also works really well on bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I had a G3 and the Micro BR was considerably better with headphones. Loved the G3 effects though. Just been looking at the Yamaha THR10, anyone use one with headphones?
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Not tried any of the new ones but I used to love the Korg Pandora series
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Not tried any of the new ones but I used to love the Korg Pandora series
    This
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good call. I had both the firs silvery one and the later blue one. I will have a bit of a google now...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    photek said:
     Just been looking at the Yamaha THR10, anyone use one with headphones?
    Yes, sounds great.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    photek said:
    I had a G3 and the Micro BR was considerably better with headphones. Loved the G3 effects though. Just been looking at the Yamaha THR10, anyone use one with headphones?
    THR is pretty good with headphones, I have a pair of Sony MDR-7510 monitors, closed back and good sensitivity, about £100. As with all headphones its good to check the fit for comfort as much as any parameter. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    BOSS ME-5
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Cool. I want a bit of everything so I am guessing the standard one would be best?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    If in doubt, go and try a couple. I've played the original THR10 and THR10C. In my view, the 10C has more clean "head room" especially when played through the internal speakers like you would a standard practice amp. When played through headphones / recording via USB interface then I doubt whether the headroom is an issue. I find that the 10C has more than enough gain when using the "Matchless" and "Dr Z mini" amp models (can't remember what yamaha call them but basically amp model 2 and amp model 5)! 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    The G3 is great with headphones if you add the "air" effect at the end of the chain. It's designed to enhance the soundstage when using headphones. Sounds great. And the G3 also has drums and a looper. 

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Kebabkid said:
    The Vox headphones are good if you want really, really basic sounds and to be able to play along with an aux.source. I have the Twin version and it's just he lead from the headphones into the guitar. It also works really well on bass.

A Vox headphone/plug in amp thingy is an excellent way to go.

They can be plugged into the output jack of a conventional set up (pedals board/multi pedal etc) so you can use your conventional set up.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Kebabkid said:
    The Vox headphones are good if you want really, really basic sounds and to be able to play along with an aux.source. I have the Twin version and it's just he lead from the headphones into the guitar. It also works really well on bass.

A Vox headphone/plug in amp thingy is an excellent way to go.

They can be plugged into the output jack of a conventional set up (pedals board/multi pedal etc) so you can use your conventional set up.

Cheers @Snakebite and I didn't know that about the output jack set up - even better!