Help - Where do I Floyd Rose/Schaller Bushings/Trem Posts - 13mm?

Morning ...

So, I bought a cheap 80s Charvel body off of eBay. I'm doing my first proper "partscaster".

All has gone well in terms of things fitting together, with the exception of the trempost things (the bit's the posts screw into, which seem to be referred to as the "bushings".

I bought a standard Schaller set, but they're all 10mm - whereas the holes in the body I bought are 13mm. I can't for the life of me find any. Can anyone suggest where to look?

The post spacing is the standard 74mm that seems to apply to both Floyd Rose and Schaller trems, so at least I don't have to worry about that side of things.

Any ideas?

(I'm going to fit a non-fine tuner Floyd rose I also bought super cheap on eBay a few years back; when Guthrie had one on his prototype Charvel)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Those bigger bushings are the ones from the Jackson JT6 tremolo , and it's the only one that used them.
    You will be very lucky to find any NEW ones...maybe decent condition secondhand.
    Failing that you plug the holes and drill for the 10mm ones.

I may have some secondhand ones lurking....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Cheers! - That’s what I suspected, but looking at my other (pre-built ...) Japanese Charvels, that has a Schaller Floyd, but still has the 10mm bushings.

I had a quick look on eBay last night and saw someone selling the JT6 bushing for $10, so just took a gamble. Will see what happens.

This is a different one than the “Crackle” body I mentioned about getting a neck mentioned BTW (I didn’t end up getting shipped the Trem until I’d had to leave, hence not getting post it ... anyway, must sort that!). Anyway,I picked up a strat shaped Charvel body for $80 plus postage. It’s pretty decent (excepting the Trem post issue). 

I’m going to mate it with a scalloped (factory, thankfully) Warmoth neck. Owning a scalloped neck guitar is a bucket list thing for me. :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Yes - basically if you have a toothpaste logo Charvel it will use the 10mm posts and the guitar logo ones from 87-88 need the bigger ones.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    I had a similar issue with a HM strat i was working on last year,the bushing had been replaced with a floyd bushing/bar which wasn't compatible with the kahler/trem posts (the spyder knife edge sits in and over the posts) i looked everywhere for replacement bushing (i even tried thread adapters) in the end i found some compatible steel spacer collar bushing listed in car parts section that were a perfect replacement,i just needed to grind some grip slots into the outside of the collar and epoxy them in place they haven't moved since :)

I also found this guy via ebay who will make up custom bushing for you The Lathe Man if you cant find any listed for your DIA/Pitch.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Those bigger bushings are the ones from the Jackson JT6 tremolo ... and it's the only one that used them.
    You will be very lucky to find any NEW ones...maybe decent condition secondhand.
    Thread resuscitation.  B)

To anyone who is interested, I have a few spare Jackson/Charvel JT-6 parts. Threaded inserts, pivot posts, two styles of saddle, two types of the fine tuner mechanism, possibly one of the arm insert collar things and definitely one zinc sustain block. (The latter is not recommended except for emergencies. Earlier this year, @FelineGuitars hinted that he may be offering a JT-6 block upgrade in the near future.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.