Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gobsmacked by this guys extraordinary talent - Sultans of swing like you've never heard it before!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
Came across this purely by accident - 7.365m hits on youtube!! - & no wonder! 

Please don't be put off by the length of this vid guys & gals - I promise you every second is worth watching/listening to - especially the 'taking it down' feel at c 5:40 (clearly based loosely on MK's live Alchemy performance).

The variation, phrasing, feel, effortless dexterity and sheer laid back nonchalance whilst playing in the middle of Oxford Street is just beyond belief.  I'm just speechless - I honestly don't have the words to convey how awesome I think this young guy is. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Discovered he's a renowned player who undertook a whole series of street performances around the world, but I've never heard of him before - been listening to other street performances he's done - just mind-blowing talent. 

http://www.miguelmontalban.com/about

Here's his version of 'Shine on you crazy diamond'

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I see this fella all the time, he normally busks at the junction of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street, just up the road from where I live. And sometimes at Oxford Circus, he is really good, plays a lot of Floyd.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    That's stunning ... I always feel really lucky to be living in a city where fantastic stuff goes on like this. Makes up for Transport For London, aggressive beggars and the odd twat trying to blow us up. :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Sounds like a Flamenco player who suddenly discovered electric guitar, lasted @30 secs and that's even thinking of Dot Cotton :)
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit of an odd playing position
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Oh yes, I remember following the sound as I came out of Oxford Street tube station a year or so ago, proper good player.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Sounds like a Flamenco player who suddenly discovered electric guitar, lasted @30 secs and that's even thinking of Dot Cotton :)
    I suppose one man's 'brilliant playing' is another man's 'over playing' ... personally, I have to admire anyone who has the balls to go out on the streets and entertain like that ... clearly holding a crowd and making some peoples day, in what can be a very dehumanizing city.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    edited September 2018
    What a man, I don't enjoy that type of music in the slightest but he was great.

In Birmingham we only her accordionists, a man who falls asleep whilst playing Elizabethan dances and minuets on a penny whistle, and recently a couple of teenagers who sing every damn song in thirds and think it's "harmony" whilst both strumming exactly the same "accent on the 2nd and 4th beat" chords
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360

In Birmingham we only her accordionists, a man who falls asleep whilst playing Elizabethan dances and minuets on a penny whistle, and recently a couple of teenagers who sing every damn song in thirds and think it's "harmony" whilst both strumming exactly the same "accent on the 2nd and 4th beat" chords
    I always think of the guys selling those silly mouth whistle things on new street. Really annoying. Supposed to sound like tropical birds or something! 
    Not really street music. But a noise all the same!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

Up here in Glasgow we’ve got, or at least had this mental old toothless gypsy woman who used to stand there with a pink child’s guitar, strumming away furiously making absolutely no attempt to make any chord shapes, or even tune the guitar. Laughing like a drain the whole time.
    Very cinematic, slightly unsettling...

My favourite was the topless bongo player outside M&S. Real high energy performance running round like a maniac, always stripped to the waist no matter what the weather.
    Havent seen him in ages. I worry that he’s been institutionalised 
  • The boy can play.

Must have been all the dedication and devotion.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    The boy can play.

Shot at night time then you think? 
  • Err...... but he's not playing a Gibson R8 or R9 ........ ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Err...... but he's not playing a Gibson R8 or R9 ........ ;) 
    Yet !
  • dazzajl said:
    The boy can play.

Shot at night time then you think? 
    Yes, he turned it into the day ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Watched a bit of the first clip and I was thinking get on with it, play the bloody tune and stop twiddling about - exactly how I feel about Mark Knopfler, so job done!

There's a lot of skill there and he's attempted a different take on it, so well done. I don't find it particularly enjoyable to listen to but if I saw him playing I'd stop and look.    

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    but can he play House of the Rising Sun? 
  • kt66 said:
    but can he play House of the Rising Sun? 
    -I wish he fucking would!

Great guitar playing but Dire Straits are literally the single worst band I can think of. Utterly hateful. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    At least it wasn't a U2 or Oasis song. I think guys like this are clever, but always play too many notes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    kt66 said:
    At least it wasn't a U2 or Oasis song. I think guys like this are clever, but always play too many notes 
    One is too many and ten thousand isn't enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom