Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Resigned from my job

What's Hot
Last week i resigned from my job. I had been feeling depressed and down for quite some time regarding my job. The travel distance, the money, the lack of development and my feelings towards the company led to my decision. A close family member has been off work with depression and anxiety and I didn't want to go down the same road. So rather than crack at work I took a break.

Initially I felt elated, like a weight had been taken off of my shoulders. But at the moment its a lot of nervous energy, have I done the right thing? My other half has been incredibly supportive and encouraged me to make the decision.

I now need to knuckle down with searching for a job . I may be listing my PRS though :( still bigger picture and all that. 

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Firstly, congrats on talking the step - it's not easy doing something like that where you launch into the unknown, but as you've rightly alluded to, your mental health and wellbeing comes first.

Secondly - could you go into contracting? Not sure of your area of expertise, but that could be a bit of a change while still giving you some freedom (and keeping your hand in the skillset)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done mate. No job is worth getting depressed over. You’ll find something soon enough no doubt and having the support of your family is priceless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Congrats! Big decision! I can relate, I've been off with depression in the past and the fact that you've recognised and acted is really no trivial matter.

Get job hunting, set yourself targets to stay motivated while off, but at the same time take some time for yourself to relax and go to your new job that's just around the corner with a cleaner head.

All the best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Life isn't always about work. You HAVE to be happy. Otherwise, it will drag you into a worse state. Good luck. It'll all work out. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Congratulations.

Would you consider working for yourself in some fashion?
  • Thanks guys, I had an interview the day after I resigned, which was odd. I don't think I was in the right head space for it, it's a telecoms role which I'm not sure if I'm going to go for. The telecomms company liked me, and I have asked for a second chat.The comms company is a lot closer to home, which is 90% for me. 

I want to do something which tackles my grey matter, but doesn't bore me. A mundane admin role is definitely something which is not for me. It's just fear of the unknown at the moment.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • octatonic said:
    Congratulations.

Would you consider working for yourself in some fashion?
    I would love to, I just don't know what sort of field I could. My heart has always been in music, but I've filed that under the same category as kids who are good at football.
    I had this misguided notion that the company is working for your best interests. The days of final salary pensions are over for my generation. You have no incentive to work for the same company for a long time, so you may as well do something which makes you happy, or at least something that works towards that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I hear there's a job on the railway going at the moment if you fancy that as a line of work...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolute congratulations!

Changing job is the best thing I ever did, I was undervalued in my job and was consequently disappearing down a hole of self-pity. It's lucky I got the opportunity when I did, even though I missed a £10k bonus by 3 weeks. Sometimes mental health is more important.

Onwards and upwards! :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

It'll work out.

I did something similar a couple of years ago - my job became hateful, being asked to do strange things that challenged my moral compass, disagreements with Directors etc. so just took the step and got out without having anything else to go to, the first time in my entire career - I give a lot to my job but as Meatloaf once said "........but I won't do THAT!". Had an 8 month old baby at the time too and a wife on Maternity, but I trusted myself and my experience and took 3 months off to spend with the family, then got a job I wanted.

The strangest bit is only having a few printed pages as a CV, and not the backing of "I'm currently employed X in Y role" - that flimsy bit of paper becomes your entire work history and your platform for selling the future, but have faith in yourself.

Anyway the company I escaped from since went bust chucking 3000 people on the streets just before Xmas last year, so I feel somewhat vindicated.

Good luck.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best of luck, it sounds like you made the right decision.
  • I'll give you a wow, cause Frets always help calm the nerves.

I considered leaving my old job sooo many times. In the end I hung on for the promise of redundancy which did come but by the time it did I was just worn out and realised I should gone years before it did the harm it did. 

I'm glad your partner is supportive and I hope things work out as you want them to. Sounds like a big adventure.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll give you a wow, cause Frets always help calm the nerves.

I considered leaving my old job sooo many times. In the end I hung on for the promise of redundancy which did come but by the time it did I was just worn out and realised I should gone years before it did the harm it did. 

I'm glad your partner is supportive and I hope things work out as you want them to. Sounds like a big adventure.

Thank you, I dont want to go into details (no point, the past is the past). I just recognised that I was getting really down with my situation. if I have to sell the majority of my guitars to get by, then that's what I've got to do. I have some cash behind me, not loads but we have no debts and I've said if nothing comes around by December then I'll get a temp job.
    Her support has been fantastic.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Remember that feeling of elation as you resigned.   That tells you all you need to know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Good for you DrJazz, when i read the original post i thought you were me as i resigned last week from my post.

I have no job to goto yet and my wife is also supportive (god love em)

I wish you every success and glad you got out of there alive!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2018
    I know many people doing this and not regretting it or looking back.

When you see those type of signs, it's good to act in a way that suits you, be it getting help or moving on.

Good luck in whatever you do and remember, you are The Captain of your Soul!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiS said:
    I hear there's a job on the railway going at the moment if you fancy that as a line of work...
    Which is pretty much how I got into the railway.  I left one job after over 20 years and thought I would try my hand at something completely new.  I did not know if I had the ability to do it, but wanted to give it a good try.  It was possibly one of the best things I have done in my life.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Guitars come and go, but it sounds like it’s for the long-term improvement to your health, then it’s definitely the right thing to do.
  • Well done. Hope you get an idea for something else to do soon. In the meantime why not just apply for this & that until you discover something you like?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    It sounds like the right thing to do for your mental health. Best of luck job hunting.