nuts

I've decided I'm going to replace the nut on my Peavey Predator. Yes, this probably should have been done about 25 years ago but, even made of plastic and having strings sitting a little too high, it still gigged well enough for a few years.

I've also decided that I'm going to do the job myself. That may be foolish but I'm looking forward to learning something.

So, what's everyone's advice?

I'm going bone and I've seen cattle and camel advertised (the latter, rather optimistically proclaimed as the best) and I'm guessing there's no real difference between the two. As someone that works with animal bone on a daily basis, though, I want there to be!

I also plan to use the existing one as a pattern - although the strings are high they're well spaced.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Metal (not brass) or bone.  I like steel or titanium nuts.  I like the zing and brightness they give to open strings.

Bone is the second choice.  Also, Graphtech and Delrin are pretty good.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Big fan of Tusq nuts, unless you are going to cut a few, I’d get it done for you, as decent, ie proper nut files are @£100 and it’s a lot less to have one supplied and fitted
  • sweepy said:
    Big fan of Tusq nuts, unless you are going to cut a few, I’d get it done for you, as decent, ie proper nut files are @£100 and it’s a lot less to have one supplied and fitted
    That's good advice, re. the file price, which I hadn't considered. The problem is that when I measure the existing nut with a pair of calipers it's longer than any of the standard strat nuts offered by the likes of Tusq.
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    What is the width? There is a wider flat bottom Graph Tech strat nut that might fit.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.