Low-ball offers not worthy of comment

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 4864
edited September 12 in Off Topic
What’s the highest offer that you would consider as low-ball on a 2nd-hand item you advertised for £2300 - ie so low that it doesn’t even warrant a reply?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 1813
    edited September 12
    Depends what it is and how desirable it is, if it’s something that’s unusual and hard to shift then fire away at sub £2k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 3515
    edited September 12
    £1499 - but it really depends on what you're selling and how much you realistically want for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Standard tFB low ball offers are, I believe, measured in Jaffa Cakes rather than pounds? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32184
    I would say anything below about £1800 is a bit cheeky, unless it's badly overpriced at £2300. I'm assuming you've priced it at that because you genuinely know it's worth more than £2K...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 69
    Really depends on how well priced the item is and how in demand it is. But similar to @ICBM 20% below asking price is fair enough. As an aside, I made a ‘low ball’ offer for an amp recently, then did some further research and offered more, the seller met me somewhere in the middle and we made a deal. The point being sometimes a number is just a starting point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 4864
    edited September 12
    Ok but if the ‘buyer’ offered, say, 78% (£1800) then 83% then 85%; is ok just to refuse every offer with no feedback or comment? The offers have been made on the internet so can just be declined. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32184
    I would reply. He's probably not lowballing with no real interest like some people do, if he's raised the offer twice.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    I would reply. He's probably not lowballing with no real interest like some people do, if he's raised the offer twice.
    You’re probably right
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 889
    Hahaha, I agree roughly with the statements above regarding an acceptable starting point. You guys want to try selling stuff in the Middle East though, whatever you list it for you'll get a million messages asking for last price, followed by an offer of around 20% of your asking price. Then multiple followup messages when you don't reply instantaneously! Often times you are then characterized as a greedy westerner sat like Rockefeller on your diamond encrusted cushions, just because you won't acquiesce to their "fair" offer, it's a nightmare I tells thee. 

.....and what to my wondering eyes should appear.....      nothing.......

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 18680
    I’d message him back, thanking him for his interest and stating that you will not sell below £x - but if he’s prepared to pay this, you’d be very happy to sell to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 82
    Always reply and try not to get offended. It’s not about the initial offer it’s all about agreeing on a price both parties are happy with which may or may not happen. There is far less chance of it happening if you don’t reply though. I had a 1970 Martin D28 for sale at £2500 and was offered £1500 and eventually the guy paid £2200 cash. So even if the first offer is way below asking price it doesn’t always mean the buyer is not genuine or prepared to pay a reasonable price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2852
    viz said:
     is ok just to 
    I think this is an odd question - there are no rules - do as you wish - if you want a conversation, talk to him, if you don't, don't. If you have a minimum price in mind, consider sharing it with him
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 585
    edited September 12
    If they do it with style like Terry Tibbs...

edited September 12
    I should just clarify, I’m the buyer. The item is BIN or best offer. Anyway, it’s his / her prerogative to answer or not - I agree with Mr. O; I just would have liked some discussion with the seller because I’d quite like to have bought the item - but now I can’t make any more offers. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1068
    Interesting that Reverb have a setting that automatically declines offers at or below 64% of asking price, stating that this is the threshold for serious buyers. Implying lower isn't serious.

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 165
    Always be friendly, dispassionate, businesslike. you'll never lose a genuine opportunity to transact.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2852
    Ah I see - sorry to say I think you've shot yourself in the foot - you offered less than you think it's worth and less than you were prepared to pay. Could have initiated a conversation surely? 

A buyer wants THAT item,a seller just needs any buyer with the money - it's usually to the buyer's interest to strike up a dialogue 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 796
    TBH, I'm not so much bothered about the amount, it's the way it's presented. The 'best price delivered?' with no 'Hi' or any attempt to be a tiny bit polite pisses me off more than a lowball offer. 
  • I take low ball offers (and sometimes make them) as a start of negotiations. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing I find agreement is often reached. So I’d never take offence by what someone offered me. If the seller is desperate to sell who knows,so always worth a punt. 
  • When people ask me "What is your best price?", I've started replying "Something more than you're prepared to pay". 
    Clarity over quantity.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6973
    edited September 14
    Always reply because you never know if they have the budget or not, they might just be trying to see how low you'll go.

As a buyer I sometimes think it's not worth trying to shave off a tiny bit more if you think it's going to go in to 'losing the sale' territory... but it depends how much you want the item, and how often you might get a chance to get it again.

If it's something I definitely want I'd rather offer a fair price and definitely get it, even if that means just using the BIN on eBay.

If I'd like it but only for a lower price then I'd offer the lower price and if they don't want to take it then that's fair play.
  • hootsmonhootsmon Frets: 8672
    edited September 14
    low balls  and high balls

Image result for rhinoceros

Image result for giraffe

tae be or not tae be
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4483
    I take low ball offers (and sometimes make them) as a start of negotiations. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing I find agreement is often reached. So I’d never take offence by what someone offered me. If the seller is desperate to sell who knows,so always worth a punt. 

Agreed.  If offers are invited, you might as well start negotiations with a low one. 

£1,800 against an asking price of £2,300 seems fair to me, it's a significant amount of money, enough to show you're not taking the piss, and both parties know it's not going to be the final price.

Even if you were ultimately prepared to pay the full £2,300, there's no point making an initial offer of £2,200 and immediately settling on £2,250.  Leave negotiating room.

• westwest Frets: 309
    hootsmon said:
    low balls  and high balls

Image result for rhinoceros

Image result for giraffe

reminds me of the joke ... whats the differnce between a jcb and a giraffe ?

ones got hydraulic's and ones got high bollocks ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 950
    I offered about £15 less for an item the other day, he replied with a counter offer of 40p off the price... I ignored it as I figured the guy just wasn't interested in offers oven though he had a best offer there. 

This morning eBay app tells me the listing has been reduced be £10ish.. 

Wtf!? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter