Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opinions on best £300 guitar (NOW BOUGHT for £350) and £100 amp for beginner (NOW BOUGHT for £170)

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd also look at the Vintage guitar brand. Lots of people rate the Lemon Drop, and you could easily find one second hand well within budget.

Maybe also think about Yamaha Revstars.

My own personal preference would be a Squier, or a second hand Yamaha Pacifica (6xx or 3xx series) which I think could be found in that sort of price range. But I'm more of a bolt-on strat/tele kind of player.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Whatever you do, buy used.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    If your budget is £400, I'd spend £200 each on guitar and amp, Revelation do lots of left handed models.
    Buying used you could get a good Squier/Epiphone, then if for home use only a Vox AC4 or Champ

I've found really cheap amps just sound bad and don't encourage me to play.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    edited September 2018
    GUITAR
    +1 on the recommendation of an Epiphone Dot 335 (under £300 brand new at Dawsons and a choice of colours):
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-dot-335-electric-guitar

- I think it would suit the style of music you want to play really well, very versatile too
    - Should feel like a comfortable transition from acoustic to electric
    - Great guitars, had one myself and loved it

These Gretsch's are breaking the budget slightly brand new, but can be had within budget second hand:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/160105291988008--gretsch-g2622lh-streamliner-lh-cb-dc-flagstaff-sunset
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/171213319512008--gretsch-g5220-electromatic-jet-bt-deep-cherry-metallic-lh

Thumbs up for the Squier (I'd stick to the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges though) and the Vintage brand too.

AMP
    +1 on the recommendation of the Boss Katana 50:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/160907302101008--boss-ktn-50-katana-50w-1x12-combo

A similar alternative would be the Vox AV15 (Have one an AV30 and think its great):
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/vox-av15-analogue-valve-amplifier

I don't have any experience with etc Boss Katana but think it sounds great in the demos I've watched and have heard nothing but positive reviews.

The Vox on the other hand I've spent a lot of time with, it's strong points are its vintage style amp settings like the Fender Tweed, Vox AC15 and AC30 which are ideal for the sort of music your looking to play. I like the early Marshall Plexi sounds too if you want to get Hendrix/Sabbath type tones.

I would also recommend going to a large store (or a number of smaller ones in the same town if you can) and getting up close for a more detailed look and feel of as many guitar that take your fancy. If for no other reason than its a fun experience. Plus (and I'm not not ashamed to admit it) what it looks like is a big deal to some (like me), the more you love it the more you'll play it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and I'd definitely second the G&L recommendation. My main guitar is a Korean made G&L, and I'd rate it against anything in that budget range (or higher). At the time it was noticeably better than the standard Mexican Fenders. Although I gather the Mexican fender quality is much improved.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    A used Boss Katana 50 and a used Mexican Strat (should be able to pick one up for £250 as I did). That'll keep you going for a long while.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • It's already been suggested but I wholeheartedly recommend going in to a shop and trying some out. It can be intimidating at first, especially if you are new to guitar and are of 'older years'. I found myself in the same situation a few years ago and at a similar age - I found a sales assistant with a smile and asked him to play some for me then played around with them myself-we had a bit of a laugh. I went for the one that felt right-it ended up being a PRS SE Custom 24 and I still play it every day.

As for an amp, it has to be a Katana 50. I started with a Blackstar CORE ID, but it left me wanting more very soon after I bought it. You could look out for a used one if you don't want to splash out for new, but at £165 new they are incredible value.

Let us know what you end up with.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    munckee said:
    In fact there is a G&L Bluesboy telecaster for £350 in the classifieds on here humbucker pickup in the neck, tele bridge pickup.  I would get that!
    You just have to change the strings around and hang it upside down    :)

• I see you're in Telford.

If it's not too far to travel, my local (to work, anyway) shop recently had a number of S/H lefties in - I'm sure there were a good mix of SGs/LPs and Strats amongst them.

TR Music - https://www.facebook.com/TRmusicwalsall/

233 - 236 Stafford Street
    Walsall
    WS2 8DF

01922 613101

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited September 2018
    Amp is easy - Boss Katana all the way.

Of lower end guitars I've been very impressed with in recent years - 

Ibanez S521 - Great sounding guitar with some nice inbetween tones due to some clever wiring. Also very lightweight.
    ESP LTD EC256 - Like most guitars coming out of World Guitars factory these are fabulous. A nice modern take on the Les Paul available in some very pretty finishes and features coil tapping. Definitely a guitar that punches above its weight.
    Also look at Vintage - have some great hardware and pickups on these.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Didn't clock you were southpaw, do not then buy the G&L unless you learned to play orthodox! having the wrong sort of hands does limit your choices : )
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I'd agree spend a bit more on the amp and get a Katana.  A £200 guitar through a Katana will sound better than a £300 guitar through some of the smaller stuff.

At the low end of the market, I'd go for a fixed bridge - probably a Telecaster.  With all the extra complexity, cheap trems don't tend to be very good.   They can lack sustain, and can also cause tuning problems.   I'm also not a big fan of the nasty humbuckers you get on budget guitars.  They can sound very muddy.  I'd look at a Squier Tele.

• Just checked re. TR Music. They have:

Westfield strat copy in red
    Vintage LP in cherry
    Epiphone SG Korean
    Epiphone LP in cherry

No prices yet - give them a call if interested?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited September 2018

Just checked re. TR Music. They have:

Vintage LP in cherry
    Epiphone SG Korean
    Epiphone LP in cherry

An Epi LP and Boss Katana would make an amazing starter package.

This one is about 70 miles away from you (according to gumtree)
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/boss-katana-50w-electric-guitar-amplifier/1313567795
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited September 2018
    Don't ignore the cool factor - if you like the look of a colour or style it'll make you feel good when you pick it up and that'll make you play more.
    But some guitar layouts can be a pain, me I find the 4 knobs on a LesPaul are awkward - one volume, one tone, job done.
    Me I'd get a cheaper used guitar and down the line try something else.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited September 2018

Just checked re. TR Music. They have:

Vintage LP in cherry
    Epiphone SG Korean
    Epiphone LP in cherry

Brief thread derailment...TR Music! Didn't know they were still going (though not been into my old hometown for a while). That shop was great....assume Georges across the way has gone @HarrySeven?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Don't ignore the cool factor - if you like the look of a colour or style it'll make you feel good when you pick it up and that'll make you play more.
    But some guitar layouts can be a pain, me I find the 4 knobs on a LesPaul are awkward - one volume, one tone, job done.
    Me I'd get a cheaper used guitar and down the line try something else.

I really like the 4 knobs.  Being able to play with the pickup volumes individually gives you so many more options.  For instance, you can tame a biting bridge pickup by adding in some neck pickup, without going for the full on in between sound.

I don't use the tones that much, so the PRS DGT arrangement with 2 volumes and one tone is probably my favourite though.

Vintage LP in cherry
    Epiphone SG Korean
    Epiphone LP in cherry

Brief thread derailment...TR Music! Didn't know they were still going (though not been into my old hometown for a while). That shop was great....assume Georges across the way has gone @HarrySeven?
    Yup...I still pop in and see Mike and Co most lunchtimes. :)

Georges went years ago.

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Best £300 guitar is probably the pro featured Dean Custom 550 I’m selling over in the classifieds. EMG pickups and real Floyd Rose. Worth £800 new.

Vintage LP in cherry
    Epiphone SG Korean
    Epiphone LP in cherry

Yup...I still pop in and see Mike and Co most lunchtimes. :)

Georges went years ago.
    Ah! It’s been a while as you can tell!