P90 or Pro Buckers? Difference?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probuckers are humbucking pickups, Epis version of the Gibson Burstbucker, but they sort of have their own tone, quite trebly and (I think) very nice sounding on low gain bluesy noodling.

Epi P90s I haven't played, but I'd be amazed if they aren't voiced to sound like a Gibson P90 with a little twist.

Older Epi pickups have a reputation for being muddy, which probably explains why the Probuckers shoot for more clear and trebly.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    So is a P90 a single coil pickup?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    robgilmo said:
    So is a P90 a single coil pickup?
    It is.

The sound is often described as half way between a Fender style single coil and a humbucker and I find that to be quite an accurate description personally too.
    Ive been reading up and watched a few videos. I quite like the idea of a brighter sounding humbucker, I take it clean they sound like a warmer single coil?
    On the guitar in the link I cant see any way to adjust their height, I take it you can somehow?
    robgilmo said:
    Ive been reading up and watched a few videos. I quite like the idea of a brighter sounding humbucker, I take it clean they sound like a warmer single coil?
    On the guitar in the link I cant see any way to adjust their height, I take it you can somehow?
    To me the word "warmer" doesn't seem right but that's the problem with these abstract audio words lol.

I suppose warmer really means less highs so it is. I kind of think of hotter rather than warmer.

I honestly think the "half way between fender SC and humbucker" is the best description of it.

The ones I have are in a humbucker shell so can be adjusted but I think the soapbar ones might be harder to adjust the height and I think the old style ones with the wings at the sides can't be adjusted at all.

I just recorded a little comparison of my 3 guitars on a clean tone there to hopefully show you how the 3 types of pickup compare:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited September 2018
    thegummy said:
    I honestly think the "half way between fender SC and humbucker" is the best description of it.
    For me, the defining quality of a good P90 is the way it interacts with an overdriven valve amplifier. It is mainly about the playing dynamics and the midrange. Generally speaking, I would not look to P90s for jingle jangle top end. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    P90s are one of them things where there's not really much of a compromise. If you get a good one you really do get the fat mid range of a humbucker with the clarity and bite of a singlecoil. People say they're noisy but I used to gig mine without any issues at all. To me they're like a singlecoil with all the crap bits fixed.
    @robgilmo did you see my video? ^^^
    Yes mate. Thank you for posting, I have to admit I do like the sound of those P90's.
    robgilmo said:
    Yes mate. Thank you for posting, I have to admit I do like the sound of those P90's.
    You might be surprised with how inexpensive they are and they fit in to any humbucker guitar :)

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/the-mighty-ninety
    So P90s are bigger than humbuckers? That's cool though that people make them to fit. I do seem to be drawn to them, something between a HB and a SC makes a lot of sense to me.