Problem with my brand new Fender?

What's Hot
Hi Guys... I've just noticed that if I lightly brush my fingers along the lower half of the pickguard on my brand new, 1 week old, Fender Telecaster, moving from the front, running back towards the control panel, I hear crackling/interference coming out of the amp. Is this caused by poor insulation along the route of the cables running from the neck pickup to the control panel, and if so, should I take the guitar back to the shop? I had to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive, so I'm hoping that I don't need to return it... the crackling is loud enough to be annoying so I'm sure something's not right...
Cheers, Hansi

TO DO IS TO BE - Nietzsche   TO BE IS TO DO - Kant   DO BE DO BE DO - Sinatra
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Sounds like static on the guard - this is quite common. It’s nothing to do with the wiring and isn’t a fault as such. Try spraying it with anti-static spray, the sort of thing you would use for clothes - really .

To cure it permanently you might need to put shielding foil on the back of the guard, making sure to let it contact the control plate - a small piece stuck to the body under both works well. That will drain away the charge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Why are you gently brushing your fingers on the pickguard, you pervert? That's not how you play a Tele.

Sounds like static noise to me. You could put some shielding on the back of the guard where you're caressing it - you could probably make an ok connection to earth by just leaving a bit sticking out under the control plate.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phew... that's good news ICBM... I hadn't noticed it before so I was a bit puzzled about it. I'm one of those people that gets zapped by static electricity whenever I touch metal... shopping trollies, cars, even my wrought iron bed sometimes! So I thought that it might have something to do with that... I'll try wiping it with an anti-static solution. Thanks for the info..!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Yes, some people’s body chemistry just seems prone to it! It could also be affected by clothing choice, the humidity in the room or the carpet you’re standing on - basically just a combination of things that generate static and don’t allow it to drain away gradually, so it discharges to the guitar’s ground and causes the crackle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Haha, thanks FatPete... I do love my new Tele..! No, I just sat down to have a play and as I touched the pickguard I heard the crackling, so... I gave it a few loving strokes to find the cause... honest, officer!!

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    edited September 2018
    Get yourself some washing up liquid and wipe the pickguard with it. Let it dry and polish off...

No more static.

Si
  • Thanks grappagreen, that's interesting, I'll try it... cheers

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    HansiR said:
    Haha, thanks FatPete... I do love my new Tele..! No, I just sat down to have a play and as I touched the pickguard I heard the crackling, so... I gave it a few loving strokes to find the cause... honest, officer!!
    As long as there was no wah pedal action going on at the same time, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • I'm off to give it a polish...!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What line is it if you dont mind me asking? Not a Player Series?

Regardless, mine also had mental static on the pickguard, which if you rest your 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers on it while picking, like you said is enough to really colour the sound through the amp.

Hope that its an easy quick fix for ya. Its a common enough problem. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Thanks Skunk’.. yes, it’s the new ‘Player’ Telecaster. I’m pleased to hear that it’s a common problem and that there’s not a problem, with the guitar... or me!

• No worries dude! 

Be sure to let us know the results man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited September 2018
    HansiR said:
    I’m pleased to hear that it’s a common problem and that there’s not a problem, with the guitar... or me!
    If the problem were you, you might have to return yourself to your manufacturer. Your mother might not welcome this news.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I would say though, if it otherwise plays well and nothing else is wrong, particularly the nut, then dont exchange it... not worth the risk. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3449
    Are you wearing socks on carpet?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7781

IIRC the chap that was once here who worked for Fender said that roughing up the back of the scratchplate (sandpaper) should get rid of the problem, as it helps "disconnect" the plate from the body.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    @HansiR ; - you need to be wearing a pair of these:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• HansiR said:
    Does this mean that I can't wear my Garry Glitter outfit any more while playing...! It's got too much friction in it... ha ha ha
    I'd avoid it for school gigs in any case.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought the standard cure for this was a rub with one of those anti-static cloths you stick in the tumble dryer to stop you getting zapped when taking the dry clothes out.