Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm done. GAS cured. No more gear.

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I said this in the ‘after all these years’ thread...
    terada said:
    Thinking of selling most of it and going back to basics
    Since then I’ve bought an R8 and am now fussing over an R9. 

It aint ever over, just feels that way sometimes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I’ve said that very statement five times this year.  Wrong each time
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    You need 500 pedals.
    You mean 500 drive pedals
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    TheMarlin said:
    I think I’ve said that very statement five times this year.  Wrong each time
    Yeah, it's like me keeping on saying on Twitter/Instagram that "I think my pedalboard is done". 

It's never done. It might get refined, but it's never done. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    terada said:
    I said this in the ‘after all these years’ thread...
    terada said:
    Thinking of selling most of it and going back to basics
    Since then I’ve bought an R8 and am now fussing over an R9. 

It aint ever over, just feels that way sometimes

That's why I just bought the R9 up front.  I've owned an R8 in the past, and there was always something at the back of my mind saying it would be nice to have an R9.

Now I've got the R9 I'm looking at some of the 335s!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Absolute bullshit!

But lovely collection of guitars. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Sure thing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    What's with all these cheap R8s?  Gibson sourcing from China now?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Honestly though I could do with walking away from trying to do deals and just be happy with what I have. 

My Gear should be more than ample 

Guitars

Gibson Les Paul Classic
    Gibson SG Standard
    Epiphone Sheraton
    Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Gold Top
    Fender Telecaster Classic Custom
    Fender Classic 70's Stratocaster

Amps

Marshall JTM45
    Vox AC15 Heritage 
    Two Laney Lionheart 4x10 combos.

Pedalboard

Thorpy Veteran
    Thorpy Fallout Cloud
    Thorpy Peacekeeper
    Timmy
    Hudson Broadcast Dual
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone Deja Vibe
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    Fender 63 Reverb pedal
    Several phasers  
    Mooer Elec Lady. 

For some reason I keep looking at new gear, honestly I don't know why as its getting quite out of line. I look at the classifieds every time I come on here and I have all the groups on my facebook. I am thinking I will leave the facebook groups for the time being to concentrate on my playing instead. 

The mad thing is that I am recording two different albums at the moment and I don't use more than one amp per track, I think I sound largely the same regardless of which guitar I play. In fact I would be hard pressed to remember exactly which bit of equipment was used on which track. 

I am totally not unhappy with my tone, quite the opposite I am very happy with how its recording. 

I am not sure this GAS thing isn't a larger problem that I don't recognise or know about. I am not getting into any debt over this I don't buy if I cant afford it but I have no idea why I never seem to be totally satisfied with guitar gear. I don't buy like this with anything else. 

I would be keen to see some thoughts as there are a lot of people on this site who do a lot of buying and selling of guitar gear.  
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    edited September 2018

I said this exact same thing and I've managed to stick to it rigidly.

It's been a tough four days, but I'm hanging on in!!

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    edited September 2018
    Rather wierdly I don't really suffer from GAS where guitar gear is concerned. I had the same gear for 10 years for a stretch without changing, and pretty much only change something when I'm looking for a new sound which is rare.
    This, despite having more money than I knew what to do with pre-children and responsibilities.

Shiny mountain bike bits on the other hand.....take my money please!!! 

I'm a FAR better guitarist than mountainbiker b.t.w. which I suck at
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    @Hattigol this feeling of euphoria is short-lived and often followed by intense depression. Check out your symptoms here:

Euphoria can be described as a heightened, exaggerated, or extremely positive sense of happiness or well-being. It is considered to represent an abnormally extreme degree of happiness or contentment beyond that which occurs in normal emotional responses. It can be described as a sense of intense joy or happiness that is beyond what would be expected under the normal circumstances. Euphoria may be experienced by those who suffer from bipolar depression (manic depression) in the manic phase. It may occasionally be seen in other psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia, in which emotional responses and perceptions of reality are abnormal. Euphoria in the context of a psychiatric condition can also be accompanied by symptoms like

A number of recreational and illegal drugs have been described as having an effect of inducing euphoria.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I thought I was done. And truth be told I need nothing. But the offer on the R8s have me tempted. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    shaunm said:
    Honestly though I could do with walking away from trying to do deals and just be happy with what I have. 

My Gear should be more than ample 

Guitars

Gibson Les Paul Classic
    Gibson SG Standard
    Epiphone Sheraton
    Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Gold Top
    Fender Telecaster Classic Custom
    Fender Classic 70's Stratocaster

Amps

Marshall JTM45
    Vox AC15 Heritage 
    Two Laney Lionheart 4x10 combos.

Pedalboard

Thorpy Veteran
    Thorpy Fallout Cloud
    Thorpy Peacekeeper
    Timmy
    Hudson Broadcast Dual
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone Deja Vibe
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    Fender 63 Reverb pedal
    Several phasers  
    Mooer Elec Lady. 

For some reason I keep looking at new gear, honestly I don't know why as its getting quite out of line. I look at the classifieds every time I come on here and I have all the groups on my facebook. I am thinking I will leave the facebook groups for the time being to concentrate on my playing instead. 

The mad thing is that I am recording two different albums at the moment and I don't use more than one amp per track, I think I sound largely the same regardless of which guitar I play. In fact I would be hard pressed to remember exactly which bit of equipment was used on which track. 

I am totally not unhappy with my tone, quite the opposite I am very happy with how its recording. 

I am not sure this GAS thing isn't a larger problem that I don't recognise or know about. I am not getting into any debt over this I don't buy if I cant afford it but I have no idea why I never seem to be totally satisfied with guitar gear. I don't buy like this with anything else. 

I would be keen to see some thoughts as there are a lot of people on this site who do a lot of buying and selling of guitar gear.  
    I'd hope that it's just the appeal of new gear - which is constant - and wondering if you've got the best for what you need. I'll admit to going to the classifieds sections frequently, often without the intent of buying, but it has caught me off guard sometimes when there's a tempting new pedal up for grabs.

I tend to sell what I'm not using to fund new pedals but there are times I have to remind myself of what I have and get the most use out of it. My pedalboard has expanded and contracted tons over the past 18 months, some pedals have only been on there a matter of weeks before going again because either they weren't right or, occasionally, because I didn't give them enough time and sold them to fund something I wanted more. 

I know for space reasons I can't really buy any more guitars or amps, but pedals are small enough and can come and go more easily. However I've started to realise that, for example, that shiny new delay might be stunning, but overall and in a song or band mix, it sounds very similar to what I've already got - or that new pedal which combines sounds doesn't necessarily do more than what two pedals I already have can do. 

It's just a case of taking stock of what you have and appreciating that. And even perhaps thinking "do I need all of this? Is it all getting used? Can I live without it" and selling some of it? That's always a cleansing feeling. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • No GAS? yeah right.

Once upon a time I had an LP and no GAS. Then I found an SG. After that I had no GAS until I played a mate's ES-335. GAS struck again 10 years later with a pair of Yamahas. Then there was no GAS until I saw an Epiphone acoustic archtop. I took it round to the same mate whose 335 had previously set off GAS, he played my archtop and said he liked it, then put his ES-175 into my hands. I've been GASsing for one of those for some time but it's even worse now.

No GAS? Yeah right.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I've said the same myself, more than a few times. 
    My new mantra is 'I'll try not to buy anything today '.
    Which seems to have worked. Mind you, it is only ten past nine. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I've always got gas for guitar gear. However I didn't buy a guitar between 2008 and 2018 but I did buy two in April.

I've got four main electrics and assorted acoustics, basses etc which don't count.

For years when I was playing a lot I had two pairs, gibsons and rics. Now i dont ahem need spares ive got 4 different guitars. I do need a telecaster  though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    No GAS? yeah right.

Once upon a time I had an LP and no GAS. Then I found an SG. After that I had no GAS until I played a mate's ES-335. GAS struck again 10 years later with a pair of Yamahas. Then there was no GAS until I saw an Epiphone acoustic archtop. I took it round to the same mate whose 335 had previously set off GAS, he played my archtop and said he liked it, then put his ES-175 into my hands. I've been GASsing for one of those for some time but it's even worse now.

No GAS? Yeah right.
    You haven't even started on Fenders yet.  You need a Tele.....
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I think I need counselling. I was a bass player for a few years, and then drifted away from playing (by popular demand!) and then did a bit of six string stuff on and off, until I decided to try and take it a bit more seriously a couple of years ago by getting into more of the jazz/blues/swing/jump stuff that I like. That was accompanied by an interest in the guitars themselves, as my only guitar of note up to that point had been a Mexican Strat. I thought I'd get an Italia Torino to start things off, as I liked the look of it, and it was nice enough. But.....

I have bought and sold well over 50 in the last two years, and now have something like 15 Gibsons (the oldest a 1938 ES-150 CC and the newest a 2016 ES-275), a couple of Fenders, a couple of Gretsch 6120's an Epiphone Elite Byrdland, and a couple of others. It has been as high as 32 in the 'guitar room'. I have an L5 Signature coming and two more vintage Gibsons on the way. I will be putting a couple up for sale over the weekend though, as something has to give. I'm obsessed with it, and I'm now taking an unhealthy interest in the Grez Guitars and Dan Dunham websites.

I've never bothered with pedals, but am now on the lookout for a couple of specific ones including the Nocturne Jr Barnyard. I have even switched my attention to amps and hope to be buying a couple more in the next week or so.

I needed something to switch my attention away from cars, and it's certainly done that. I've even found myself devoting time to thinking about which guitars, I really, really need, and then justifying all of them. It's a bit silly really, and I'm old enough to know better.

But I love it.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom