Washburn N4's back in stock at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Having owned 3 of the damned things I wish I liked how they played as much as I love the look.

I had a mid 2000's Padauk that I liked many things about, but hated the neck shape.

I recently had, and sold a few months ago, a 1994 Swamp Ash that had a much nicer feeling neck but still wasn't what I wanted.

and I bought a brand new 'Vintage' from Anderton's in their January sale last year for £1999, which I sold, bought back again, and then finally sold for good earlier this year to someone on here because again, I hated the neck shape.

Still, they seem to be in demand whenever stock arrives in the UK, but £2799 for a 'Vintage' is mental.

I wouldn't say the £1999 I paid last year was anywhere near worth it!

They don't even have a German made Floyd FFS

The small team 'ghost' building them in Ohio is doing a good job though having played a few of the newer ones coming out of there (the Washburn Custom Shop in Chicago closed a while ago)

Having said that, I might pop in to the Edinburgh branch over the weekend to see a new 'Authentic' in the flesh.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Was in there earlier today (having a go on a real '68 Tele which was lovely!) The 2 N4s are at the front desk with the Crimson guitars - wtf is going on with the jack socket on the "authentic" one?? lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love N4s and have had every model going - Mahog/maple, paddy, alder, ash, N3 and N4XX. Still have the alder and will probably sell the XX since it doesn’t get played any more.

i really like the necks, but there’s a difference between older and 2.0 models - 2.0 are chunkier so that might have affected your thoughts depending on which you had?
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    I've had a few myself in the past, I've tried to get on with them but in the end the Neck shape and the size of the body always got to me, as with many signature models.

In the end we came up with this if they're of any interest........

https://www.stormshadowguitarworks.com/view-product/Stormshadow-Guitarworks-S4-Vanquish
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2018
    The 2016 ‘Vintage’ I  bought new last year was a 2.0 @hubobulous ;;

and while I really liked the feel and look of the back of the neck, the shape was far too thin, and maybe too wide, which made my hand cramp after playing for a while.

The Padauk I had was pretty much the same, although the ‘94 swamp ash was a much more rounded affair, but still not a decent fit for me as I really do prefer a chunky neck.

Killerburst Guitars in the USA offer a custom build option with them so one day I might enquire about having one made to measure!
    The smaller body is one of the things I really like about them @StormshadowGuitars ;

If you could basically make an alder N4 but with a birdseye maple neck which was a decent hand full, with ebony board, or actually maybe a maple board, and preferably a fixed bridge, I would be first in line to order ;-)
    tFB Trader
    dbphoto said:
    The smaller body is one of the things I really like about them @StormshadowGuitars ;

If you could basically make an alder N4 but with a birdseye maple neck which was a decent hand full, with ebony board, or actually maybe a maple board, and preferably a fixed bridge, I would be first in line to order ;-)
    All that is no problem, but it would be on the guitar posted above as we can't replicate an N4 i'm afraid. :)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    dbphoto said:

This is a disgrace. :p
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    DLM said:
    dbphoto said:

This is a disgrace. :p

Zis is a disgrace

FTFY

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Not that there is anything wrong with the Floyd 1000 really, but at £2799 a proper German one should really included.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, so everyone knows I love an N4.

However, there's no way in hell I'd pay nearly £3k for a guitar whose production was obviously outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Sad :(
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    OK, so everyone knows I love an N4.

However, there's no way in hell I'd pay nearly £3k for a guitar whose production was obviously outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Sad :(
    Yes that's a bit of a joke now! Oh and it most certainly should have a German Floyd for £2799.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stupidly small bodies and so I had to get rid of mine, as it looked like a Ukulele with a Floyd Rose on.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    stonevibe said:
    Stupidly small bodies and so I had to get rid of mine, as it looked like a Ukulele with a Floyd Rose on.
    How big are you? It looks alright on Nuno who incidentally is my height. 
    tFB Trader
    carlos said:
    stonevibe said:
    Stupidly small bodies and so I had to get rid of mine, as it looked like a Ukulele with a Floyd Rose on.
    How big are you? It looks alright on Nuno who incidentally is my height. 
    I did once see Meatloaf, Meat Loaf, Meat-Loaf, Mr Loaf or however it's written play one, it looked like a squash racket on him!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Got out the tape measure and it's same size horn to arse as an Ibanez RG and only 1" narrower at the hips.
    7/8th’s Strat body size is what I have in my head?

or is that a Jackson Dinky??
    Having been in to the Glasgow store earlier the ‘Vintage’ hanging on the wall looked like a fairly poor attempt to be honest.

The ageing on the body was rubbish compared to mine from a couple of years ago and the ebony board was pale and streaky, but not in the nice way that you sometimes see.

£2799!?

hahahaha
  • dbphoto said:
    Having owned 3 of the damned things I wish I liked how they played as much as I love the look.

I had a mid 2000's Padauk that I liked many things about, but hated the neck shape.

I recently had, and sold a few months ago, a 1994 Swamp Ash that had a much nicer feeling neck but still wasn't what I wanted.

and I bought a brand new 'Vintage' from Anderton's in their January sale last year for £1999, which I sold, bought back again, and then finally sold for good earlier this year to someone on here because again, I hated the neck shape.

Still, they seem to be in demand whenever stock arrives in the UK, but £2799 for a 'Vintage' is mental.

I wouldn't say the £1999 I paid last year was anywhere near worth it!

The small team 'ghost' building them in Ohio is doing a good job though having played a few of the newer ones coming out of there (the Washburn Custom Shop in Chicago closed a while ago)

Having said that, I might pop in to the Edinburgh branch over the weekend to see a new 'Authentic' in the flesh.
    Why dont you get someone like @FelineGuitars to build you one to your spec and favoured neck shape?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I’m contemplating asking @StormshadowGuitars to build one of their S4 Vanquish’s to my specification, as a birthday present to myself, if they have a slightly smaller body than usual?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    dbphoto said:
    7/8th’s Strat body size is what I have in my head?

or is that a Jackson Dinky??
    It's attributed to Jackson but its cobblers, 7/8ths of an inch smaller maybe. I'll measure the Dinky and Strat when no one is looking and get back to you, I expect a 5mm difference at most.