What magnet to put in my HB?

What's Hot
I have a 8.2k Bridge Humbucker with an Alnico III magnet in LP that I'm considering tweaking

It's currently very bright on the unwound strings with only just enough definition on the wound strings

I'm not yet done with trying to vary the height of the pup, but assuming that doesn't get me there, I'm considering a magnet swap to either an Al II or a IV - Not a fan of Alnico V in HBs and I play on the edge of clean and so exclude ceramics by default

So here's the question
If I want to tame the top end a tad but not loose wound string definition, should I go to Al II (which will tame the top, but might make the bottom end more muddy) or go IV (which risks brightening the top end more, but might allow the bottom end to come up to a level that balances that out)?

Whaddya think?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited September 2018
    I would try A4 first. Did the same to some Antiquities. Rounded off the highs and beefed up the mids. Cermag sell them for about £1.50 a set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers Rob - big fan of Cermag too
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Unorientated Alnico 3 is the warmest magnet, Alnico 3 is the 2nd warmest.

If UOA3 doesn't work, you'll want to ditch the pickup.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited September 2018
    SunDevil said:
    I have a 8.2k Bridge Humbucker with an Alnico III magnet in LP that I'm considering tweaking
    It might help to know about the guitar in which this pickup installed. How close is it adjusted to the strings? If the pickup has adjustable polepieces, how are they set? Finally, does the humbucker have a metal cover?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'd go Aii and raise the bass side polepieces up. 

It is hard to give advice like this though. Humbuckers are by their nature softer on the low end. What you might prefer is something like a Firebird or mini HB bridge pup so the string sensing area is smaller and roll the tone pot off slightly to smooth the highs. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Ossyrocks said:
    I would try A4 first. Did the same to some Antiquities. Rounded off the highs and beefed up the mids. Cermag sell them for about £1.50 a set
    That interests me! 
    I have a set of Antiquities in a Tokai 335 semi and although they sound great they are a bit flat in the mids.

They don't sound scooped but they just lack a little mid push especially the bridge. I can live with the neck pickup because I mainly play on the bridge.
    Are you still happy with the swap?
  • TA22GT said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    That interests me! 
    I have a set of Antiquities in a Tokai 335 semi and although they sound great they are a bit flat in the mids.

They don't sound scooped but they just lack a little mid push especially the bridge. I can live with the neck pickup because I mainly play on the bridge.
    Are you still happy with the swap?
    I was happy with them, but as we do, I kept looking for something else. Ended up with some Wizz PAFs with A4 magnets. They were excellent. Then swapped those into another guitar, then sold that guitar. Now it has BKP Mules, again with A4 magnets.

What am I like!?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    What am I like!?   

Just a normal, down to earth, guitar playing guy with a serious touch of gas......quite normal, no remedy required.

Thanks for the reply, I might just try a set of PAF 36'ths I have in another guitar because they have slightly more mids. Saves magnet swapping!