HELP - Wraparound bridge issue?

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I just recently bought a new silveray guitar with a wraparound bridge and have noticed that the bridge doesnt sit straight but leans towards the pickups. Is this normal?

Sorry for such a simple question. I've attached picture 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    A little tilt on the studs is normal, but it seems like the actual studs are tilted on that 
  • Yea I can see that they are slightly away from body on one side. I'm guessing that's not a good thing? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    It looks to me like either the studs and the inserts have a *very* sloppy interpretation of what 'thread size' means, or they're actually different sizes. It probably won't cause any issues with playability if the intonation is capable of being set correctly, but it may affect the ability to adjust the action if the threads don't fit properly.

NB, never adjust either the action or the intonation on one of these without slackening the strings off almost fully - or you will chew up the top slots, the sides of the posts or both. Also don't use a screwdriver to adjust the posts - the slots are designed for a flat object which fills the slot - real Gibson ones are actually intended for a coin! (I forget which value of US currency.) I use an old steel ruler if they won't turn easily with fingers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if it's something I should return 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    If it was mine, I'd take the strings off, and then take the bridge off.

Then, can you "wobble" the studs about in the inserts - ie are the studs loose - or do they fit like you'd expect a bolt into a nut?

If they're wobbly-loose, then something's not quite right.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Depends if it's likely to cause an issue or is just a poor fit - the angle of tilt does seem excessive to think it's just a poor fit, the gaps between the threads must be enormous to allow that much sideways movement. Either that or the threads are damaged, or the posts are actually bent.

If you're careful, you may be able to investigate without doing enough to affect the warranty...

First, measure the height from the body to the underside of the bridge, so you can put it back as it is. If you don't have a steel rule you can use a piece of paper and mark the height on it. (I would measure parallel with the middle of the posts.)

Then slacken the strings fully - you should be able to get them loose enough that you can pull the tailpiece off the posts without having to undo them from the machineheads.

Now unscrew the posts, by hand if they will come out like that. Have a look at the threads on the post and see if they look damaged or the posts are bent. Post pics, if you're not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I did take off the strings and look before and the screw did just completely wobble

Will try again in theorning and take pics 
    mimsy89 said:
    I did take off the strings and look before and the screw did just completely wobble
    Wobbling is actually the lesser of the evils - what you really don't want is it to have jumped a thread and jammed itself, which would make adjusting it or getting it out difficult without doing more damage.

However, it does sound like either the studs and inserts are *extremely* poor quality or they've just used the wrong sizes.

I would 'lean towards' ( ;) ) sending it back if you're not happy - it could well cause trouble in the long term even if it's just about workable now.

• Thanks for all the help definitely leaning towards going to take it back  Going to call them today.
  • Took it back to the shop and replaced the guitar. Turned out the stud had sunk even deeper than i first thought. thanks again everyone