PedalParts SweetyPuss wiring issue

What's Hot
I've built myself a PedalParts SweetyPuss octave fuzz pedal and it sounds mighty. Only problem is I seem to have cocked up the wiring as the pedal is always on regardless of footswitch position. I've checked the footswitch wiring and I think I've wired it up as specified in the PedalParts instructions. Could it be a duff footswitch? Or is there something else obvious to check?

I need to get better at this troublshooting malarky!
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    It's likely a short in the wiring between 2 of the footswitch terminals. Do you have a multimeter?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I don't have a multimeter but think it's about time I got one:) I'll have a look for a short, although I've used shrink tube to insulate them.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    I read somewhere that those switches are easily damaged by heat. Linger on the tags too long with old Antex and the heat melts the blue plastic they're potted in... dead switch.
    I've triple checked the wiring and even with my limited grasp of circuits, can't see how the signal could flow through the circuit with the switch in both positions. So yep, I'm still suspecting the switch.
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Got a pic of the switch wiring dude
    Cheers for the help. I'm using the wiring recommended by PedalParts

Not sure if this pic will help (camera on my phone is a bit knacked)...

Input wire (red) goes to bottom left, jumper across to top right, output wire (yellow) from middle right.
    Input wire to board (green) goes from middle left, output from board (yellow) goes to bottom right.
    Top left to top centre jumpered.
    Board ground (black) goes to middle centre with a ground going to the output jack sleeve.
    Bottom centre (black goes to LED ground.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/ewal_01/1397076550077.jpg
    One more thing , I have just done a poodle pedals fuzz pedal and the switch needs pressing hard until it clicks to switch it try that because mine wouldnt turn on until I found that out.
    cheers dazz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Cheers Nutbox. I'll try giving the thing a good dunt later on. If that doesn't work I've got another switch kicking about, so I'll swap that in and see if it makes any difference.

Edited to add: I guess also a multimeter would quickly tell me if the switch is actually working.
    For sure, does it click at all when you press it, because when I was doing mine I thought it was a momentary switch until I found out I jad to press it a little bit hard to switch it on.
    good luck.
    dazz
    Bugger - different footswitch, same result...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    That narrows it down though. Either you've made the same mistake wiring the switch or it's somewhere else (the board, or possibly the I/O jack sockets).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    It won't be the board unless it's shorting to both input and output by coincidence which is virtually impossible.

Double check your input and output wiring. What happens if you remove the in/outs to the board from the switch- do you get any signal pass through at all?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Cheers for the suggestions. I'll do a bit more fiddling taking off individual wires an the weekend. I've got another PedalParts pedal that I wired up differently based on another diagram which works, so might try copying that.
    Getting there.... this morning I discovered that actually the footswitch is working in terms of the circuit, however the LED is always on in both the on and bypass position. If I'm understanding this, there must be some sort of short in the circuit which is allowing the LED to go to ground or something? So next thing might be to disconnect the LED ground from the footswitch and see what I get.
    LED pulled out of housing - issue fixed! It must've been shorting against the enclosure. Thanks again for suggestions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Glad you got it sorted buddy well done.
  • Pedalparts clones are really good imo.
    I recently built the sho clone and its bloody brill!