Marking knob positions?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
What do you use if anything? 

I have 9 pedals, and a dusty room. 
Cleaning and general stomping usually ends up in knobs being moved, which is annoying as then all my volume levels in relation to the amp and each other are out of whack and takes me longer than it should to set again... lol. 
I’m more of a set and forget type for drive pedals. 
I like to keep a constant balance in volume across all pedals and amps own gain. 

Looking for cheap options. 
I could cut little bits of masking tape and stick them around the knobs to draw a line on, but anything slightly better looking? 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 2 options  I used to use electrical tape and Sharpie.  These days I just take a photo of the settings
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    You could try something like this - http://loknob.com/12loknobs.aspx

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I use a chinagraph pencil.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Small triangles of masking tape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Stumbled across these the other day while checking out the pedals they make
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    skunkwerx said:
    What do you use if anything?.. 
    ...anything slightly better looking? 

Day-glow yellow circle stickers (Amazon) with a line drawn on with Sharpie.  
    Super clear on stage day or night.
  • Cheers all I’ll check all those out!
  • 1. Set the knob to the desired setting/position 
    2. Remove the knob from the shaft
    3. Replace the knob so the indicating line is straight up at 12 o’clock. 

Now all you have to do if you nudge your settings is set the knob back to 12 o’clock. Simple, easy to do and completely free 
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 1. Set the knob to the desired setting/position 

Now all you have to do if you nudge your settings is set the knob back to 12 o’clock. Simple, easy to do and completely free 
    Thats genius. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I have used and still do several methods of marking settings depending on the pedal and knob orientation.

I use black and white chinagraph pencils, a strip of white electrical tape beside/above the pedal with the knob images/settings drawn on sharpie style, little electrical tape triangles stuck on too. I also test each pedal for basic tone and gain briefly during sound check if possible although sometimes it just isn't.
    1. Set the knob to the desired setting/position 

Or if you want to play a joke on the other guitarist in your band... when they're not around, dial in their amp for a much better sound than the ear-bleeding shrill 'tone' they like to use, then carefully put the knobs back on in their usual settings and see how long it is before they work it out.

I can't possibly say how I know that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Or if you want to play a joke on the other guitarist in your band... when they're not around, dial in their amp for a much better sound than the ear-bleeding shrill 'tone' they like to use, then carefully put the knobs back on in their usual settings and see how long it is before they work it out.

I can't possibly say how I know that :).
    In an office is used to work in I discovered the letters on the office computers were all removable and interchangeable. Hours of fun. 

Anyway,  I just tend to take photos now. The only problem with this is when you are setting up you look like you are messing about on your phone rather than getting on with it. 

Unless I'm being very finicky I tend to point the knobs toward something, so my pedal settings are often based on everything pointing at the LED. I'm sure it's what all the top pros do...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • skunkwerx said:

Thats genius. 
    Thank you! It’s also aesthetically pleasing having all the knobs on all your pedals pointing straight up! 
    How very rock and roll
    benmurray85 said:

Thank you! It’s also aesthetically pleasing having all the knobs on all your pedals pointing straight up! 
    And very baffling for other guitarists trying to copy your settings :).

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

different triangle coloured stickers!!!!!

has worked very well for me.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    You can simplify the task by refusing to have any knobs not at their minimum, maximum, or midway point.

This will probably also make everything sound better.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    have used chinagraph pencil, and one of those paint markers (the latter was surprising NOT that resiliant) 

There's a company that makes pre-made stickers for this - overkill obv but the control freaks seem to like it.

Another route is use elastc bands round the knobs themselves to stop them turning. 
    Red ones are better.