Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1961 Strat

What's Hot
All,

Having posted an image of the above on another thread and received some requests for further images see enclosed.

It was purchase in '61 by my father and was passed to me a couple of years ago..

If anyone is ever in the Hertfordshire area and wants to experience a vintage Strat PM me.. I'll get the kettle on and you can come and see if all the hype is justified..

Regards,

Si
0reaction image LOL 37reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    That's very kind of you Si - I wish I lived closer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely guitar, And even nicer knowing it's been passed from father to son.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks amazing! The best strat (guitar) I've ever played was an original 62'
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That really is a thing of beauty.

I'm often in Hertfordshire, I'm a member of Verulam Angling Club.
  • proggy said:

The offer is a serious one.. if you ever fancy a go let me know. 

Si
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:

The offer is a serious one.. if you ever fancy a go let me know. 

Si
    That is really kind Si, I will.

Cheers mate.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Stunning. Thanks for posting more pics, I've never seen one in such a completely mint condition.

Amazing
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Well considering in 1961 your Dad would have paid around £140/150 for it then I'm sure you'll be happy if I offered you double that

On a serious note - there can't be to many guitars that have stayed in the family for well over 50 years - Enjoy it - Use it - Respect it and be proud of it - Nice story that goes with it - Type of story JoBo likes
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nice, family heirloom. (im in welwyn btw :) )
  • Me too :)
  • pmd
  • Well considering in 1961 your Dad would have paid around £140150 for it then I'm sure you'll be happy if I offered you double that

On a serious note - there can't be to many guitars that have stayed in the family for well over 50 years - Enjoy it - Use it - Respect it and be proud of it - Nice story that goes with it - Type of story JoBo likes
    Lol :)

To be honest (and you may think this is crazy) but it saddens me somewhat that it sits in my guitar room and only I get to experience it. I don’t like the idea of guitar museums..I gig around the Herts area but wouldn’t take it to any of my gigs given the crap holes we play in. I’ve tried to reach out to see if anyone ‘known’ wants to borrow it and take it out properly - nobody seems interested.. shame really..

Si

• im sure its a beauty to play but i dont think many people would want the responsibility of taking someone elses very special guitar on the road, i know i wouldnt
  • im sure its a beauty to play but i dont think many people would want the responsibility of taking someone elses very special guitar on the road, i know i wouldnt
    It’s just a guitar and that’s what it should be doing.. my perspective is probably different to most on this subject maybe.. :)
    It’s just a guitar and that’s what it should be doing.. my perspective is probably different to most on this subject maybe.. :)
    good attitude, but id hate to take it out and get it damaged, i actually dont mind damaging my own stuff though
  • Come and try my pre-CBS Strat... what a great offer!
  • Well considering in 1961 your Dad would have paid around £140150 for it then I'm sure you'll be happy if I offered you double that

Lol :)

To be honest (and you may think this is crazy) but it saddens me somewhat that it sits in my guitar room and only I get to experience it. I don’t like the idea of guitar museums..I gig around the Herts area but wouldn’t take it to any of my gigs given the crap holes we play in. I’ve tried to reach out to see if anyone ‘known’ wants to borrow it and take it out properly - nobody seems interested.. shame really..

Si

I feel the same. I’d let anyone come and try my 64 Precision as it deserves to be played by people - not just me. I guess it’s part and parcel of having one.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Well considering in 1961 your Dad would have paid around £140150 for it then I'm sure you'll be happy if I offered you double that

Lol

Si

I hear where you are coming from about 'using it' - An issue for many - Ownership is something to enjoy and be proud of and whilst you probably don't want to flaunt, in public, the fact you have one, it does deserve to do what it was meant to do and that is be played - I think with the family connection I'd preserve its heritage and use it, but carefully and 'sparingly' - Like many classic car owners do - Sunday drive in the countryside to a nice local pub on a warm sunny day

Can be handed further down the family line another day ?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Lend it to the That Pedal Show guys - they did a show where they got to try out some pre CBS Fenders and we’re literally beside themselves. That was in the owners flat, I bet they would love to test one in their own controlled environment. We could trust them to get some proper geekery going and you’d have a nice video for keeps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol - I mailed them and never got a reply!!