Is Harley Benton the new Marlin?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
    They do an alder and an ash one ... mine is alder and not too bad ... I played an ash one and it was a bit of a boat anchor. 
    I have a relatively cheap Korean jazz bass and the only real down side is that it is very heavy.

I wonder if that's a general trend for well made cheap instruments that they can be heavy?
    It's cheap cos they hide lead in there - it's cheaper than paying for it to be disposed of.
    Nah probably spent uranium fuel rods ... now they ARE expensive to dispose of. Up side would be an interesting glow-in-the-dark look on stage ... down side ... er ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
    They do an alder and an ash one ... mine is alder and not too bad ... I played an ash one and it was a bit of a boat anchor. 
    I have a relatively cheap Korean jazz bass and the only real down side is that it is very heavy.

I wonder if that's a general trend for well made cheap instruments that they can be heavy?
    It's cheap cos they hide lead in there - it's cheaper than paying for it to be disposed of.
    Lol

What do they hide in Gibsons, solid gold?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Lol

Gibson stock certificates..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Lol

Little bits of The Dark lord Juszkiemort's soul ... never heard of a Horcrux? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've got a Harley Benton explorer, before they altered the shape, it cost about £70 and I bought it for the modding challenge on here. Never modded it because it played fantastic and has a really nice handful of a neck. Still play it regularly.
  • I've bought several entry level 3/4 size Harley Bentons (4 more this week). All have been great, no problems with the electrics a year on, unlike many other cheap kids guitars.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Never owned a Marlin but judging from what others say there's no way any Marlin was as good as this - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135928/almost-ngd-harley-benton-fusion-pro-series-hsh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2018
    thegummy said:
    Does anyone else suspect that websites lie when you sort by most popular and they actually change the order of the list based on what they want to sell at that time rather than genuinely by units sold and nothing else?
    Well, according to Thomann the Headrush pedalboard (position 11 in their best sellers) is more popular than both Ernie Ball regular slinkys (position 14) and the Line 6 Helix (position 16)....
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/topseller_GF_guitars_and_basses.html

That seems a little hard to believe.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2018
    So, the consensus seems to be that whilst HB might have replaced Marlin as the entry level guitar, they are much better quality than Marlins were. So there you have it, progress in action, great time to be a guitarist etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Snap said:

I started playing in 1984. I had quite a few cheap copies and am pretty confident in saying that HB are generally better than what I started playing on. Here's a few blasts from the past, that were mostly totally crap

Columbus

Marlin

Hondo

Kay

Encore

All pretty bad, woeful action, absent sustain. Not good.

I rescued a Columbus  LP type from a the local tip and its not too bad as a useful playable guitar .The previous occupants had managed to lower the action  reasonably  and a rewire sorted some issues .Its far from perfect but as I play fingestyle bluesy jazzy stuff  the "single coil " "humbuckers "sound OK especially the neck . Its just not a Les Paul, being a  sort of semi hollow .its fun for a fiver .maybe 50 quid .
    The two Harleys I got were OK.The Jazz master style  HB60 had the most lethal fret sprout I have ever come across but a twin bucker tele was a nice guitar out of the box .Way too heavy for me though .
  • My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
  • Nahh one can cast spells and the others a motor bike....not even similar at all.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thinking about it , Harley Benton are probably the new Epiphone.