Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite guitarist then vs favourite guitarist now...

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Then: Johnny
    Now: Tony Cuffe
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Then: Gilmour

Now: JD Simo

I do like JD Simo (and his kit) - Certainly one my most searched names on Youtube 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just to clarify since others are picking the same for each, Gilmour is still my favourite, I just picked my favourite of players I only got into in the past few years as a new one.
  • Seeing mention of the awesome Derek Trucks made me also want to comment on Warren Haynes as a player I've been inspired by lots in recent times. I think his tone is just incredible on the latest Govt Mule album.
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Then: Burt Weedon
    Now: Justin Sandercoe

And I still can't play the bloody thing.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Then: Ritchie Blackmore, Andy Latimer,

Now: Ritchie Blackmore, Andy Latimer

At neither time has there been any preferential order, other than what mood I'm in.

The list of favourite guitarists continues to grow. Now, it's a lot longer than it was then. I think the above are my favourites, but whoever's record is on my turntable at the time is my favourite.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Seeing mention of the awesome Derek Trucks made me also want to comment on Warren Haynes as a player I've been inspired by lots in recent times. I think his tone is just incredible on the latest Govt Mule album.
    Haynes is actually my joint new fav with Mayer but I had to pick one
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    Then:

All-time favourite:

Current favourites:

• Then: Richie Sambora
    Now: Richard Thompson
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16083
    Then ; Marc Bolan
     Now  ; Johnny Hiland or Redd Volkaert
  • Then: Carlos Santana

Now: Waaaay too many to mention.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    I've never really had one favourite - then or now - it's always been a mix of the bands I listened to at the time I guess, and subsequently I suppose I like guitarists who do what they do best in the bands they're in? 

But from my youth it's probably a mix of Jimi Hendrix, the Iron Maiden guys, Sonic Youth chaps, Prince, Satriani, Tom Morello, Cobain, Jeff Buckley and Johnny Greenwood, the duo from Fugazi, Carpenter from Deftones. Some of whom led me to pickup up guitar, some of whom kept me playing over the years. 

Tastes have changed but some of them remain my favourites - Jimi, Sonic Youth, Morello, Fugazi, etc. while still respecting the others - but current favourites are the guys from Caspian, Rory from And So I Watch You From Afar, Andy Othling from Lowercase Noises - mainly for what they do in terms of playing, dynamics and how they create sounds with pedals. 

And speaking of pedals, Stefan from The Pedal Zone is probably my immediate favourite because of his style and the melodies he comes up with - unconventional but still spot on, often embellished with his stunning pedal creativity. But he's not being carried by the pedals, he's no slouch on the fretboard at all. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Then:
    Another vote for Scott Gorham & also Mike Einziger

Right now:
    John Mayer

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Then: Page, Rory, Johnny Winter.
    Now: Paul Gilbert.
    I still love Page, Rory and Johnny, but I’ve also got into a lot more guitarists over the decades. A lot! 
     I realise now that Pagey probably isn’t quite as good as I used to believe, but he did some great stuff!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 612
    Philly_Q said:
    Then:

Saw Blackmore play that natural ash 70s strat in 1974 at 3 shows...............has to be one of the best strat tones I've ever heard live...........it got nicked not long after the cali Jam I believe...wonder if someone still has it...had a very distinctive visible grain development
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Started with Rory Gallagher, Luther Perkins, Brian Robertson and Johnny Coleman.

Now it is Slash, Mark Knopfler, Angus Young and John Fogerty.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Schnozz said:
    Then: Gilmour

Now: JD Simo

I do like JD Simo (and his kit) - Certainly one my most searched names on Youtube 
    Yeah me too, he's got some fantastic gear. Plus he can do this - 1:09

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was Slash, is Slash. What has changed however is that my other favourite guitarists used to be Tom Morello, Jimmy Page, Santana, Angus Young and it’s now George Lynch, Mark Tremonti, SRV and Paco De Lucia.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Roughly in chronological order from childhood to adulthood:

Steve Jones
    Pete Townshend
    Andy Summers
    James Honeyman-Scott
    Dave Gilmour
    Angus Young
    Keef
    Johnny Marr
    Robbie McIntosh
    Albert Lee
    Jerry Donahue
    George Harrison
    Mike Campbell

all of whom are still huge influences on what I do

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Back then the one guitarist who I religiously studied til I could play every one of his tracks was Billy Duffy, from The Cult. these days, too many really. I like anything that's played with feel and emotion. Neil Young maybe pips it.