Fake? Gibson J50 on ebay

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
Body looks like it could be legit, 3 hole trusscover definitely wrong, unless somebody put an aftermarket 3 hole job on, but why??
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    The 3 hole cover is actually correct for that period.

It's still too expensive given the damage I think.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    edited September 2018
    The top refinish is “subtle”?! Crudely sprayed with no attempt at aged lacquer, right over the bridge and with a nasty DIY replacement pickguard more like...

It actually looks like it’s had a serious break at the neck joint and been repaired very badly.

(Edit - and now I'm looking on a bigger screen, it's got a top seam separation behind the bridge as well.)

And it was from the absolute worst period for Gibson acoustics before any of that happened... crudely shaped, overbuilt, heavy and dead-sounding.

It’s also wildly overpriced given that you could get a non-completely-fucked one of the same period (if that’s what you want) for not very much more.

Avoid.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Yes I'd forgotten how bad it was. I saw it a few days ago when doing a "near me" search. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    The 3 hole cover is actually correct for that period.

It's still too expensive given the damage I think.
    yes my sj has a 3 hole truss cover.
  • What an entertaining sales spiel
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    Well I stand corrected on the trussrod cover, yes he seems to be flogging some right dodgy guitars
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited September 2018
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    And this is what a much better example is like... it sold for just £49 more than this basket case is listed for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1971-73-Gibson-J50-Deluxe-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Fishman-Pickup-/252906204198?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

(Scroll down, Ebay are doing this annoying thing where they try to divert you to a 'similar' current listing now.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein