Replacing a tremolo in a MiM Strat

What's Hot
Have ordered a Wilkinson WVS50IIK Tremolo Bridge from Vanson for my 2009 Mexico Stratocaster. From the measurement supplied it should hopefully be a straight swap with very little adjustment. 

A couple of questions:

1. How do I go about setting the intonation? Do you start with the high or low e?

2. Being that I'm going to strip the poly finish off at some point should I just get on and do that while the strings / tremolo are off? If so, how easy is it to take out the gubbins under the scratch plate? Does it all come out in one it is there snipping and re-soldering to be done? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I don't think it matters where you start the intonation, but the trem tension and string height should come first.

I have one 6-hole Wilko bridge which isn't a straight swap for a Fender, but I guess the 2-post one is anchored to the bottom-E post's position.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    prowla said:
    I don't think it matters where you start the intonation, but the trem tension and string height should come first.

I have one 6-hole Wilko bridge which isn't a straight swap for a Fender, but I guess the 2-post one is anchored to the bottom-E post's position.
    How do you adjust the tremolo tension?

I presume the string height I can measure off before I take the strings off and replicate with the new bridge.
  • Fuengi said:
    Have ordered a Wilkinson WVS50IIK Tremolo Bridge from Vanson for my 2009 Mexico Stratocaster. From the measurement supplied it should hopefully be a straight swap with very little adjustment. 
    Check the string spacing and/or saddle width on both bridges. If they are the same, the pivot screw holes in the respective baseplates should align perfectly. The vibrato bridge substitution will be direct.

If the WVS50iiK adopts vintage/Imperial dimensions, its saddles will be slightly wider than the Fender/Sung-il. Hence, the pivot screws may be spaced correspondingly further apart. (This is why Wilkinson offers a version of the WVSii with extended pivot screw holes.)

Fuengi said:
    How do I go about setting the intonation? 
    Measure from a datum point to the string break node point on each saddle. Normally, the nut is the datum point. If you only have a twelve inch rule, one of the upper frets will have to serve. You could even try taking a pencil and paper rubbing of the existing saddle positions.

Attempt a rough approximation of the positions of the MIM saddles on the Wilkinson vibrato. I prefer to set them too far away from the nut rather than too close. This way, once adjusted, any kinks made in the strings will lie between the saddle and the anchoring point. This will aid tuning stability of the first set of strings that go over the new bridge.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Funkfingers

I've got a BMI Tape Measure which I find invaluable for detail measurement, will dimension the existing bridge from the nut. 

I'm sure I'll have more questions once the tremolo arrives on Thursday. Job for next weekend. 
    Ok, it has arrived. I've suddenly realised I've ordered a two point trem but the existing is a 6 point trem! I could change it. Probably. Or, as I'm going to refinish the body I could drill out the holes for the 2 point and fit that.

Oops!

In for a penny... I'm going to use this one and do the stripping and refinishing all at the same time. 

I've taken string height measurement and measurement from the nut to the node as @Funkfingers suggested, are there any other dimensions worth noting before dismantling?