Changing epi LP pickups. Help

What's Hot
cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
Was going to spend a few hours swapping some spare pickups into my currently stock epi LP but it’s got chocy block looking connectors and a pcb type board mounting the controls.

What’s the best, and quickest way to do this that doesn’t involve a full rewire ( though that might be a future project )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrHankWangfordSnrDrHankWangfordSnr Frets: 26
    edited September 2018
    Order the conector from somewhere like CPC or RS  Components.   Solder your pickups to them, and plug them into the existing socket.    Connectors are really cheap.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Order the conector from somewhere like CPC or RS  Components.   Solder your pickups to them, and plug them into the existing socket.    Connectors are really cheap.  
    Wish I'd known that when I got my LP. I'm sure I tried to Google but couldn't find anywhere I could buy them.
  • The connectors tend be listed amongst computer and PCB component supplies rather than music technology. 

The main trick is to ensure that the output conductor wires of any replacement pickup go into the terminals within the each block connector in the correct order.

cj73 said:
    a full rewire ( might be a future project )
    The obvious downside to sticking with the PCB and block connector circuitry is that your options are limited to whatever is designed into the PCB. (Typically, two vol., two tone + coil-splitting per humbucker. Yawn.)
    Be seeing you.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    The connectors tend be listed amongst computer and PCB component supplies rather than music technology. 

The main trick is to ensure that the output conductor wires of any replacement pickup go into the terminals within the each block connector in the correct order.

cj73 said:
    a full rewire ( might be a future project )
    The obvious downside to sticking with the PCB and block connector circuitry is that your options are limited to whatever is designed into the PCB. (Typically, two vol., two tone + coil-splitting per humbucker. Yawn.)
    After some trans-lunch rumination I've decided to go down the full re-wire. Was looking for a quick fix this afternoon but if I'm ordering in stuff I might as well go the whole hog.  I've never even really liked the coil-splitting so it's of to research what I want.  

What I would like is:

Less on/off sensation when using volumes on the middle position and a clearer roll off when dropping volume.  It always sounded very wooly when you did that before.
  • Budget pots with - in some opinions - inappropriate resistance tapers.

Since you are now committed to removing both the stock pickups and the control PCB, they might be saleable as a complete working system.

Alternatively, stash them away against the day when you need to might need to restore the Epiphone to stock specification prior to selling it on.
    Be seeing you.
  • Unplug the current pickups. Solder the ground of the new pickup to the back of the pot and the hot to the first lug of the right volume pot while it’s attached to the pcb. Easy to do and a doddle to reverse. There’s nothing wrong with the pcb or pots and your soldering is likely to be less reliable than stock. 
  • There’s nothing wrong with the pcb or pots and your soldering is likely to be less reliable than stock. 
    There is if you do not happen to care for linear taper pots. 
    Be seeing you.