JHS Bonsai Review

As a vintage style strat guy playing into a fender amp who loves John Mayer, SRV and the other Strat legends, it's probably criminal that I never had a proper tubescreamer. When I was a newbie to the effects world I was lent a TS9 and used it with gain dimed with no clue what I was doing. I then got myself a Tubescreamer mini but never got on with its sonic qualities. When JHS released the Bonsai it piqued my interest. I'm not really a Muff guy (never thought I'd write that sentence) but the technology behind their Muffuletta was fantastic, so to see it applied to a Tubescreamer seemed more intriguing than some people's reviews (apparently just a marketing exercise).  It has become apparent to me that most of the naysaying reviews that have come out about this are more about JHS and probably haven't come from people who've played the pedal. 

First let me clear the air. I don't hate JHS. I have owned a Morning Glory, a Superbolt, Angry Charlies, Charlie Browns and now the Bonsai. Whether they've made mistakes in the past as an organisation, I find it a little bit of pot calling the kettle black when I sit here in clothes likely made in a sweatshop, using a phone made under horrible working conditions and frequently use Amazon who border on civil rights breaches with their warehouse working environment. So hold that in mind. JHS don't start in negative equity to this reviewer. 

So the Bonsai. It has 9 different modes, all based on different iterations of this famous pedal. The first thing I noticed is that every mode is different. It's not psychosomatic,  neither is it just different eq presets. You can tell there are different circuits being created through the relaying system they've developed. For me, none of them are unusable and will suit different tastes musically. I really enjoyed the TS10, the Keeley Mod and the JHS Strong mod. They all have a real clarity as an OD and I can imagine them really cutting through in the band. The rest is equally tasty, just not as suited to my style. I can imagine the TS7 mode really appealing to Humbucker style rock, the TS808 and 9 both great for pushing a metal amp or diming into a heavier pedal. The only one I've not left on for a while or found myself inspired by was the XR mode, based on an old Polish brand. It's fine, but not for me. 

Now, I don't own an 808, a 9, a 10 to compare the sounds to. All the sounds on this are better than my TS mini. Watch that pedal show for some comparisons. What I would say is that there are 2 TS10s on Ebay right now going for around the same I paid for this. It might be worth grabbing one before they get into silly prices (I can honestly see the TS10 becoming some sort of Klon like crazy expensive). But I got this Bonsai for 180 on Ebay and for 20 pound a mode it represents much value for money. 

Gigging wise, I found that I have 2 modes that I switch between, the JHS Strong Mod and the TS10. Obviously I do this between songs not mid song. I imagine their V2 might incorporate a switcher, or red remote style fave switch, that would be really useful. In any case I really liked this pedal in a band setting. It inspires much more than just ripping off my heroes. 

So all in all, worth a punt if you love TS style pedals. I'd be interested to hear any one elses experiences with it.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I thought the Bonsai sounded stellar on the recent ‘That pedal show’ Tubescreamer shootout :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    I thought the Bonsai sounded stellar on the recent ‘That pedal show’ Tubescreamer shootout :)
    Same! It really does! Big fan :)
  • I use the Bonsai to boost an already driven amp mostly for solos but also more gain.

the two modes I use are the JHS and Keeley.
  • Classic said:
    I use the Bonsai to boost an already driven amp mostly for solos but also more gain.

the two modes I use are the JHS and Keeley.
    I love both! My first thought with the JHS was that it seemed harsh but the more I tried it the more I loved it!