shielding query

Newbie question: I'm just putting some copper tape shielding into my strat. In the input jack hole, is it a problem if the jack plug contacts are touching the shielding?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    It's a problem if any other than the ground is touching the shielding, because the shielding needs to be grounded. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sporky said:
    It's a problem if any other than the ground is touching the shielding, because the shielding needs to be grounded. 
    Ta! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    axisus said:
    Newbie question: I'm just putting some copper tape shielding into my strat. In the input jack hole, is it a problem if the jack plug contacts are touching the shielding?
    Yes, if the tip contact touches the shielding it will produce a silent guitar!

Actually, if the tip contact touches the side wall it usually makes it very difficult to get the plug in as well. When you assemble a Strat jackplate, the jack must always be fitted with the spring contact pointing straight down into the cavity. You need to make sure it has a shakeproof washer and is tightened up to buggery (the technical term :) ). I prefer to put superglue on the thread as well, then tighten it with a ratchet handle and socket, while holding the jack in the right position with a cloth or leather glove. If you use a proper Switchcraft jack the chances of needing to replace it are remote - and you can always break the superglue by heating the nut with a soldering iron if necessary.

I've done hundreds of them by this method, including dozens of cheap schools Strat copies on which loose/broken-wire jacks are the most common problem, and not one has ever come back for the same fault...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein