Boss RV 500 v Big Sky

What's Hot
AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Having tried both I prefer and own the Big Sky. It will depend what you are after as both units are good. The Boss is easier to use and sounded good. The Big Sky sounded better to my ears and is great for ambient soundscapes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Is the boss really easier to use?
    I have a md500 and I hate tweaking the thing to the point that I don't bother. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Fretwired said:
    Having tried both I prefer and own the Big Sky. It will depend what you are after as both units are good. The Boss is easier to use and sounded good. The Big Sky sounded better to my ears and is great for ambient soundscapes.
    How do you relate the Boss for ambient siundscapes?

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    How do you rate the Boss for ambient soundscapes? Sorry for typos in the above
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited September 2018
    Any thoughts?

No one is better than the other imo, its all a matter of taste....i personally prefer the strymon sound for more spacey fx but the rv500 is no slouch either. You can definitely achieve huge ambient textures with the latter. I have one for sale if you’re interested. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I’m interested in this thread too.

Can I ask with either of these and the Empress are they quite difficult to use or should I say very labour intensive to learn how to use? I do make some ambient noise normally I use standard stomp boxes.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited September 2018
    shaunm said:

Can I ask with either of these and the Empress are they quite difficult to use or should I say very labour intensive to learn how to use? I do make some ambient noise normally I use standard stomp boxes.

Never tried the empress but regarding the The Bigsky and Boss, while they can seem daunting at first compared to your standard stomp box, they’re actually quite easy to get the hang of. It helps that the main parameters are tweakable via the front panel. I’d say the BS is the simplest of the two, but the Boss has access to more ‘under the hood’ parameter control. Both do the simple things really well but allow further experimentation down the line. IMO if you play live the Boss is your best bet as it’s built like a tank. Hit me up if you fancy buying mine 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    The Boss can do ambient soundscapes but the Big Sky is far better .. most of the leading ambient guitarists on YouTube have a Big Sky for a reason .. ;-)

• shaunm said:

I have the Empress and used to have a Timeline (similar interface to the Bigsky). The Empress is much easier and more 'plug-and-play'. The only thing to remember really is what the 'thing' knobs do on each patch but you quickly pick that up on your favourite settings after a short time. 

I am trying to swap it for an RV-500 though!
  • Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    The Boss can do ambient soundscapes but the Big Sky is far better .. most of the leading ambient guitarists on YouTube have a Big Sky for a reason .. ;-)
    Not trying to be snarky but genuinely asking who or what is a leading ambient YouTube guitarist???
  • Andy Othling springs to mind for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Not trying to be snarky but genuinely asking who or what is a leading ambient YouTube guitarist???
    Fair question .... I play ambient guitar quite a lot .. there are some guys who play live and issue albums and who make serious money. Here are a few who use the BigSky.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

Fair question .... I play ambient guitar quite a lot .. there are some guys who play live and issue albums and who make serious money. Here are a few who use the BigSky.

Cheers mate, will give them a listen!
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Also, the BigSky has been out for, what? 6-7 years? More people have them... well of course.
  • Any footage of ambient guitarists who use the  boss RV 500? 
  • There is a video on Youtube with the Chords of Orion guy using the RV500, he seemed pretty impressed with it
  • preston61 said:
    There is a video on Youtube with the Chords of Orion guy using the RV500, he seemed pretty impressed with it
    Thanks for this