5E3 heaven

I took the plunge to build a 5E3 with Barry over at Vyse amps some time ago and had a great and very enlightening experience..

After having an issue with the amp it sat idle for the last 6 months as I just haven't had the time to look at it. A quick fettle this weekend highlighted that one of the valve heater interconnects had come loose (shoddy workmanship on my part) and 10 mins later it was all good to go again..

I gotta say that these circuits are just amazing.. what a great sounding little amp!

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    My favourite circuit (for now...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    I have a Vyse 5e3 and it’s the most ridiculous one trick pony I’ve ever played. 

Its gnarly and ferocious, stupidly loud for a little mouse of a thing. It has almost no clean head room, makes no noise on either channel until the volume hits 2 and by 3 it’s as loud as it goes. 

Its also the most incredible sounding amp I’ve ever heard. Eveey single person that’s plugged a guitar into it has fallen in love with it and it’s the one piece of gear I know I’d never sell. 
  • dazzajl said:

Its gnarly and ferocious, stupidly loud for a little mouse of a thing. It has almost no clean head room, makes no noise on either channel until the volume hits 2 and by 3 it’s as loud as it goes. 

Its also the most incredible sounding amp I’ve ever heard. Eveey single person that’s plugged a guitar into it has fallen in love with it and it’s the one piece of gear I know I’d never sell. 
    Dazzajl’s Vyse is the best amp I’ve ever heard.  
    it’s a raw and visceral beast, badly behaved, but plays nicely with whatever guitar you throw at it. 
    Some 5E3’s are polite, clean, and chimey.  Not this one. Just spectacular. 
    TheMarlin said:
    dazzajl said:

Dazzajl’s Vyse is the best amp I’ve ever heard.  
    it’s a raw and visceral beast, badly behaved, but plays nicely with whatever guitar you throw at it. 
    Not getting it back for a while am I  =)
  • Nope!
  • Lol - mine certainly isn’t polite once you hit 3..

I built this amp with absolutely no knowledge of the 5E3 and it’s reputation. I actually picked the design as it looked ‘simple’ enough for me to build! Single tone control.. oh well I thought I can build something ‘decent’ afterwards..

Despite all the other stuff I have I genuinely think this is the best amp I have.. I always turn it off thinking omg what a sound..

Si

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    edited September 2018
    Actually I don’t necessarily agree it’s a one trick pony either if volume isn’t what you need.

Amazing clean sounds, gnarly overdrives.. the vols/tone interaction is amazing.. 

Just wish it had a spring reverb

Si
  • Actually I don’t necessarily agree it’s a one trick pony either if volume isn’t what you need.

Amazing clean sounds, gnarly overdrives.. the vols/tone interaction is amazing.. 

Just wish it had a spring reverb

Si
    That’s yours. @dazzajl has one that pretty much only growls. It’s awesome 
    edited September 2018
    Interesting - so with a Strat in chan 1 at vol 2,
    chan 2 at vol about 11 to scoop the mids and tone adjusted to taste it doesn’t clean up into the most amazing Fender clean sound?

Si
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Want clean?
    Set the volume of the channel you're not using to 11.
    edited September 2018
    Absolutely... as per my post..
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:

If your deluxe is clean and chimey then there is something wrong with it, they are not all the same, but it should be raucous when turned up for sure
    edited September 2018
    Couldn’t disagree more based on the amp settings I posted prior. It’s the unused channel at 11.. After 3 on the used channel the amp is a snarling beast of chewy saggyness. But not with the settings I posted which give amazing clean tones..
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Couldn’t disagree more based on the amp settings I posted prior. It’s the unused channel at 11.., After 3 mine amp s a snarling beast of chewy saggyness. But not with the settings I posted which give amazing clean tones..
    They do a good clean sound, but that is not what they are known for or for being polite. if your amp was polite I would say there is something wrong with it.

Do you use your guitar volume control to clean it up, when playing these vintage amps your guitar volume control is really effective at going from clean to mean
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for your post.

They do an amazing clean tone and that was simply the point I was making as another post seemed to indicate that this was not the case. There is nothing wrong my amp as I have pointed out that at above 3 It does the 5E3 thing perfectly..

I am aware of what they are famous for and mine does it in spades. I was simply pointing out that whilst they are famous for one thing they aren’t a single trick pony.. unless you need to run at volume in which case they are!

Sarcasm alert - that guitar volume thing seems interesting must try it at some point.. please don’t take offence but couldn’t help it..

tFB Trader
    Thanks for your post.

I am aware of what they are famous for and mine does it in spades. I was simply pointing out that whilst they are famous for one thing they aren’t a single trick pony.. unless you need to run at volume in which case they are!

Sarcasm alert - that guitar volume thing seems interesting must try it at some point.. please don’t take offence but couldn’t help it..

agreed, not one trick ponies at all and can take most pedals pretty well too.

Not sure what I should be offended at or the sarcasm?? anyway, good that you have got it up and running again and are enjoying it.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6675
    This is worth a watch, although it's a little slow....

• I’ve watched all of his stuff - he does get on my nerves a little if you watch the stuff about how he builds his replicas..
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1821
    edited September 2018
    You're making me feel I'm making a big mistake in selling mine now in the classifieds
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Maybe I should clarify a little, I’m not saying 5e3s are necessarily one trick ponies or can’t produce beautiful cleans. Only that mine really doesn’t like to. I’ve thought for a long time that there’s probably something quite wrong with it and one day it’ll stop working, have to be fixed and never be the same again. 

I have used it late in the evening, with a guitar that sounds nice backed right off but you’d never be able to play in a live situation and sound clean.