Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Memorable Jools Moments

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Lewis Taylor - someone who was loved and championed by many big name stars (Elton John, Paul Weller, Robbie Williams) and should've been one himself :( Last I heard, he was playing bass and MD for Gnarls Barkley and he may have got a bit of financial payback as Robbie Williams covered his song 'Lovelight' and released it as a single.

An early performance from 1996

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996

this was a suprise , i taught scott for 3 months on one of our rockschool courses , id heard he'd got signed and then up he pops on jools it was quite the wtf moment ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    Seasick Steve on the Hootenanny , nobody had heard of him , great back story (if somewhat exaggerated) and to use an old phrase - became an overnight sensation .   Cheap amp , battered guitar and stole the show .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777

a classic "but can they do it live?" . . . oh yes.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    How strange... I was just thinking about this very question earlier today, because I was listening to Marianne Faithfull.

It's this.

I don't even like Anna Calvi normally, but this is truly spellbinding - even better than the album version. The best thing I've ever seen on Later.
    It's a female version of Pete Doherty. Each to there own, but god damn awful to my ears.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • west said:

this was a suprise , i taught scott for 3 months on one of our rockschool courses , id heard he'd got signed and then up he pops on jools it was quite the wtf moment ...
    Ahh, I’ve seen Scott live a couple of times, great stuff. 

Mary J Blige - 

https//www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p026zdm8

The Civil Wars -

The Civil Wars definitely one of the clips ( although you’ve posted an image :anguished: ) that came to mind for me. People I’d never heard of and never heard much of since ( IIRC they split up and were more usually occupied writing for other people anyway) but I was just blown away by the performance.

tone1 said: One of my favs.... :)

https://youtu.be/JSntVg5s1Vs
    One of the others that came to mind, From the Cradle easily my favourite Clappo period.

And  cause I’m down with the kids ( of 2016) I’ll go for Protoje

https://youtu.be/SO0Wv2_TEWw
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This is stunning, and if you make it through to the second half of the song, proof that acoustic guitars and effects pedals do mix (with talent).

https://youtu.be/T4yh2NZ0kJw

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited September 2018
    Got to agree with @Heartfeltdawn this was just a sublime moment and McAlmont’s voice, wow!!!

Tho other for me was the same episode as @Paul_C  but 15-20 minutes later:

https://youtu.be/Iw0HPjQEt_Y

No Surprises for the first time, before the album dropped, before the hype (and if I’m honest just back from the pub with a teenage broken heart and a few too many beers) a mind blowing moment and memory.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Kebabkid said:
    Lewis Taylor - someone who was loved and championed by many big name stars (Elton John, Paul Weller, Robbie Williams) and should've been one himself :( Last I heard, he was playing bass and MD for Gnarls Barkley and he may have got a bit of financial payback as Robbie Williams covered his song 'Lovelight' and released it as a single.

Lewis is brilliant,a wonderful voice and a pretty mean guitarist too. Such a shame he didn’t get the recognition he deserved, hardly anyone seems to have heard of him. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    boogieman said:
    Kebabkid said:

Lewis is brilliant,a wonderful voice and a pretty mean guitarist too. Such a shame he didn’t get the recognition he deserved, hardly anyone seems to have heard of him. 
    Well, you and me, Boogieman, and a couple of famous bods. At his last concerts at The Jazz Cafe I had Peter Cox of Go West stood next me going absolutely bonkers over him.

He is special. He can write good tunes, sounds a little like Marvin Gaye at times, plays everything and plays great guitar.

If anyone else likes him from these clips, get the first 2 albums. They're special!
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

with bernie chiaravalle on guitar ...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited September 2018
    Got to agree with @Heartfeltdawn and @Paul_C ;on McAlmont and Butler. Aside from David's voice I always loved how Bernard goes mental at the end. Very inspiring to me as a youngster. 

I liked Gomez's debut and The Black Crowes (just because it's them). 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I remember seeing this at the time having never heard it before, and having never been very fussed by Portishead. I was absolutely mesmerised. Still love it to this day. 

https://youtu.be/SjcU9yjMapc