Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Memorable Jools Moments

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Kebabkid said:
    boogieman said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Lewis Taylor - someone who was loved and championed by many big name stars (Elton John, Paul Weller, Robbie Williams) and should've been one himself :( Last I heard, he was playing bass and MD for Gnarls Barkley and he may have got a bit of financial payback as Robbie Williams covered his song 'Lovelight' and released it as a single.

An early performance from 1996

Lewis is brilliant,a wonderful voice and a pretty mean guitarist too. Such a shame he didn’t get the recognition he deserved, hardly anyone seems to have heard of him. 
    Well, you and me, Boogieman, and a couple of famous bods. At his last concerts at The Jazz Cafe I had Peter Cox of Go West stood next me going absolutely bonkers over him.

He is special. He can write good tunes, sounds a little like Marvin Gaye at times, plays everything and plays great guitar.

If anyone else likes him from these clips, get the first 2 albums. They're special!
    And definitely don’t get the album that sounds like the Beach Boys.  :)

I agree, the first two are sublime...Lucky is my favourite track but there’s so much good stuff on both albums.  Very jealous that you got to see him play live, that must’ve been something else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Kebabkid said:
    boogieman said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Lewis Taylor - someone who was loved and championed by many big name stars (Elton John, Paul Weller, Robbie Williams) and should've been one himself :( Last I heard, he was playing bass and MD for Gnarls Barkley and he may have got a bit of financial payback as Robbie Williams covered his song 'Lovelight' and released it as a single.

An early performance from 1996

Lewis is brilliant,a wonderful voice and a pretty mean guitarist too. Such a shame he didn’t get the recognition he deserved, hardly anyone seems to have heard of him. 
    Well, you and me, Boogieman, and a couple of famous bods. At his last concerts at The Jazz Cafe I had Peter Cox of Go West stood next me going absolutely bonkers over him.

He is special. He can write good tunes, sounds a little like Marvin Gaye at times, plays everything and plays great guitar.

If anyone else likes him from these clips, get the first 2 albums. They're special!
    And definitely don’t get the album that sounds like the Beach Boys.  :)

I agree, the first two are sublime...Lucky is my favourite track but there’s so much good stuff on both albums.  Very jealous that you got to see him play live, that must’ve been something else. 
    The plaid shirt around the waist couldn’t be any more nineties but great stuff. I have no memory of those clips at all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dr. John. 

This video clip is from 1996.

What I wanted to find was a different (non-Hootenanny) clip during which Jools skulks on Hammond organ whilst Rebennack lays down some proper N'Orleans piano. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited September 2018
    Don't think this one has been posted yet, amazingly... Glorious. 

https://dai.ly/x42l0l

(Not YouTube as they keep removing it)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5E1VXaCBW8

Arrgh why don’t my yootoob links embed?!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

• Iamnobody said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that one either. Effectively his last ever public performance if I’ve understood it correctly. Anyone new to him would have to read in between the lines a bit to know he had one of the greatest voices in popular music but he could have sung the phone book and sent chills down the spine. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'll have a good watch of these on the train, thanks - great thread.

My favourite has to be this one, Christine and the Queens - Tilted.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • There's been a few for me...
    • As a prog fan, and never having been exposed to anything by Radiohead, apart from Creep, (I know!), seeing them perform Paranoid Android. Hooked.
    • KT Tunstall singing Black Horse...
    • Jesse J doing Pricetag almost a capella. In that moment, she seemed like a serious artist with something to say.
    • Civil Wars performing Barton Hollow. 

• Iamnobody said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that one either. Effectively his last ever public performance if I’ve understood it correctly. Anyone new to him would have to read in between the lines a bit to know he had one of the greatest voices in popular music but he could have sung the phone book and sent chills down the spine. 
    Yes. It wasn’t even in front of the studio audience either. Pre-recorded for them. 

I was was fascinated by that performance. I had it on VHS for years and was pleased to find it on YouTube. The Tilt album can be hard work though!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • @Kebabkid Lewis Taylor. I really think he's a bit of a lost genius. His first album is a match for any of the other neo-soul albums of the same period, and his production on it is outstanding.
  • For me, there's a few I really remember:

Acoustic Ladyland:

(Maybe the loudest live band I've ever seen.)

Any one of a ton of PJ Harvey performances (before the England Shakes and after period):

With Desert Sessions/Josh Homme:

She's one of the all time great rock front-people.

Dizzee Rascal. The first time he was on. There doesn't seem to be a version of this on Youtube. 

St. Vincent, although watching it back, it's not as good as I remember (I've seen much better performances from her).

Smokey Robinson, with Eric Clapton. Also seems not to be on youtube (this is a pattern), and I know it used to be. I'm absolutely NOT a Clapton fan, so it was nice to see him tastefully accompanying someone else.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Talking of loopers -

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader

A mighty bit of singing - looks possessed in the still!

• Lots to choose from. Possibly blur with No Distance Left To Run, but most probably this:

Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    I think Altamont Butler was my fave but this by Bobby Whitlock featuring his old pal Eric Clapton is pretty great...

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Zoolooter said:
    ICBM said:
    How strange... I was just thinking about this very question earlier today, because I was listening to Marianne Faithfull.

It's this.

I don't even like Anna Calvi normally, but this is truly spellbinding - even better than the album version. The best thing I've ever seen on Later.
    It's a female version of Pete Doherty. Each to there own, but god damn awful to my ears.
    This constantly reminded me of a documentary on tv a while back about old age prostitutes. 

And not in a good way.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis