Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Doomed to repeat?

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
edited September 2018 in Guitar
I keep buying the same style guitars as the ones I already have and I move them on as they sound too similar and I enjoy my older ones better. 
I have some money and know I really need to look at guitars with either a different construction or pickup type but I keep looking at more double humbucker guitars!!!

how do you guys do it, how do you pick a second/third guitar over what you normally like?
do you go by sound or something else?

i currently have an epiphone Explorer that actually plays and sounds great stock plus a musicman Sub 1 guitar that’s a single humbucker ( and my favourite). 
What should I be looking for?
my next purchase has to last me a long time as I won’t be able to afford another for some time. 
Iv got £1k to spend. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Nothing. Just stop buying guitars.

Buy amps instead. And pedals. And a bass. And a ukelele.

Maybe not a ukelele...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    A trombazoodian. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    @icbm @grungebob  ; No buy a Uke they are cool and if you have run out of room from to many guitars take up next to no room , guaranteed to make you smile .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS CE24? Still buckers, but with more sound options on the pickups and a bolt on neck which will give you some different tonal variations. Maple necks sound different too. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Have one of the classics, a Strat, Tele, Les Paul and Dreadnought. That has mostly done it for me except I want a PRS and then maybe a 335 and then a Gretsch and perhaps a Ric 330...

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    You don't pick a guitar. They pick you. Resistance is futile.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks so far guys but I’m just a bedroom player these days and sold off pedals and valve amps and just use a Katana 50 for noodling so I don’t think I need another amp or effects or at least can’t think of anything that would sound as good as low volume as it does?
    grungebob said:
    Thanks so far guys but I’m just a bedroom player these days and sold off pedals and valve amps and just use a Katana 50 for noodling so I don’t think I need another amp or effects or at least can’t think of anything that would sound as good as low volume as it does?
    In that case you either need a good acoustic, or something more sophisticated in the amp/effect field like a Kemper or an Axe-FX. Or possibly a totally different electric guitar. (Random example - Jazzmaster.)

If you keep coming back to these two humbucker guitars you really don’t need to spend more money on something similar again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• What about something like a Yamaha Revstar?
  • What about something like a Yamaha Revstar?

These are really good, you could go for the RS502 with P90's or the RS720B for Filtertrons and a Bigsby. 
  • Start drumming
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So long as it’s not going to impact on your finances/responsibilities, buy whatever makes you smile. 

With £1k burning a hole in your pocket you could have a REALLY fun trip to your local Guitars’r’Us- go in & ask them to assemble a selection of sub £1k NON HB guitars (plus a Katana 50) & see what puts a grin on your face. 

I love P90s, so I’d naturally suggest a Les Paul Jr*- you’re obviously not afraid of single pickup guitars & a Jr is just great fun.*

*plus a ukelele- everyone should have one lying around. 

edited September 2018
    What about something like a Yamaha Revstar?
    If it’s like the two-humbucker one (the 320, admittedly the cheap one) I played, it was one of the most characterless and uninspiring guitars I’ve ever played, and almost certainly the worst Yamaha. As well as unplayable without a fret dress. Other models may vary...

• Cheers guys. 
    I think I need to check out P90’s and some semi hollows, just need a guitar that will make me play differently and sound like a radical departure to my current gear. 
    I played PRS customs into Mesa’s for so long it’s time to turn down the gain a bit I think and explore  
    thanks 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Maybe go for an HSS guitar? Keeps you in comfort but also has something different to bring to the table?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    If you “need” to buy another, sounds like it should be single coil. Can’t go far wrong with a £1k strat or tele.

Alternatively, mabye you’re lucky and one double humbucker axe is all you need. In many ways I’d prefer to be in that situation. Works for Angus...
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Another vote for a £1k single coil guitar - for that outlay you can get some of the best strats/teles around, either from Fender themselves or one of the other brands. There's such a difference between HBs and single coils, neither is stronger or weaker, just completely different. The dynamics on a £1k tele or strat would sound incredible. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'd advocate not going to buy a guitar (shock horror). But go along and play a few to see if something takes your fancy. As @scrumhalf says the guitar chooses you, so play lots until one speaks to you and don't be swayed by colour/brand name/artist association just get a good playing guitar that makes you want to play it like your old guitars.
  • Buy a nice sparkly Telecaster, an Oil City Wapping Wharf and a soldering iron.

Or buy a nice sparkly Telecaster, a pair of chrome Filtertrons and a TV Jones Savalas bridge, a router and a soldering iron.

Either way, job done!  ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited September 2018
    grungebob said:
    a musicman Sub 1 guitar that’s a single humbucker (and my favourite). What should I be looking for?
    How about looking underneath the S.U.B.1's scratchplate for a neck position pickup rout and a wiring channel?

One DiMarzio, one fancy selector switch, one bespoke replacement pickguard. Job done.

A five-way Superswitch can be configured to provide a range of "Gibson" and "Fender" inspired sounds from either two humbuckers or, if you prefer, one humbucker and one single coil. The Freeway 3x3-03 is a six-way toggle switch that works similar miracles. Might even suit your Explorer.
    Be seeing you.