Double Negative, the new Low LP

I was worried this would be the one where they glitched themselves into a corner of the studio, and their songwriting wouldn't be able to pull it around.  I was wrong.  It's an absolutely incredible record, and instantly my album of the year.

This has been trailing the album release for a few months, but in case you haven't seen it, it's a video triptych of the first three tracks on the LP...

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Pretty much could be in my top 10 albums of all time... this is gonna top so many year-end lists...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    It is a very very bold artistic statement - it is so easy for well establish acts to rinse and repeat with every album. It will be interesting to see how they play these songs live.

Having said that, I also hope that they will release a pre-production version of the album, a bit like when they released an accoustic version of C'Mon - I would love to hear the originals of these songs
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Can't wait to see them live next month and see how to recreate these on stage. I get the feeling that their bass player will be busy with the keyboard :)
    I can hear the Danelectro Convertible throughout this album as well as the Red Panda particle pedal again.
  • Is anyone a fan of the Alan Sparhawk solo album?  It's one of my favourite albums over the last 5 or so years.

FWIW, I think AS took some of the experimental vibes from his solo album to the new Low album and like others I believe the results truly are superb. 
  • ewal said:
    It is a very very bold artistic statement - it is so easy for well establish acts to rinse and repeat with every album. It will be interesting to see how they play these songs live.

Having said that, I also hope that they will release a pre-production version of the album, a bit like when they released an accoustic version of C'Mon - I would love to hear the originals of these songs
    There's an acoustic C'Mon album?
  • Is anyone a fan of the Alan Sparhawk solo album?  It's one of my favourite albums over the last 5 or so years.

FWIW, I think AS took some of the experimental vibes from his solo album to the new Low album and like others I believe the results truly are superb. 
    Which one is this?
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    edited September 2018
    ewal said:

There is. ETA: Possibly not currently available - I've got a copy in my Google Play library, however when I try to search for it, it doesn't appear.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    That is very impressive.

Which one is this?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_Guitar_(Alan_Sparhawk_album)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Is anyone a fan of the Alan Sparhawk solo album?  It's one of my favourite albums over the last 5 or so years.

Yes. Love it, but he’s among my very favourite guitarists of all time...

Which one is this?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_Guitar_(Alan_Sparhawk_album)
    Had a listen to some of it. A bit too "out there for me". I like his Retribution Gospel Choir stuff, and he has done another album with a violin player called "The Murder of Crows" which doesn't really float my boat. He's also in some other blues type band, but not sure how that lasted for. Black Eyed Snakes they were called.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    ewal said:

It's 5 track EP:
    https://www.discogs.com/Low-Cmon-Acoustic/master/401634

I don't know if it's now out of print and not available in official digital download.
  • First listen was - wtf is this, too processed, static, not sure about this (and I do like some experimental and electronic music).  Second listen last night, I was half asleep but some stunning music emerged from the cacophony. Will keep listening.