Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What a Bitch! Nothing 'sweet' about trying to learn the guitar solos for this classic!

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    I know the run you mean. If it’s of any interest, Danny Gill of Lick Library has taught that run in two different ways. In “Jam with guns n roses” he teaches it as Slash plays it running up the fretboard. In “Learn to play Guns n roses” (I assume inadvertently) he actually teaches that run all within the 1st e minor pentatonic box at the 12th fret.

I learned it the second way first but realising it wasn’t how Slash plays it had a look at the other DVD. I think the (alternative) way on the learn to play DVD is actually a bit easier to get to grips with.

Oh yeah, shout out to Danny Gill who has taught me most of what I can do on guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited September 2018
    Don't do the main solo note for note. For the amount of work doing so will never be appreciated by an audience. I think they'll be more interested if you did your own take on it but keeping the gist of it in tack as it is an iconic solo somewhat.

Funnily enough it's that song that I vowed I'll never play again as I've played it so many times I've grown tired of it and every band plays it I know of ....... badly  :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited September 2018
    This looks about right to me - with tab. Starts around 1.35.

I've never really learned it properly as it turns out - I do an alternate picked run in the 1st position pentatonic box at the 12th fret. Sounds close but not spot on. Now I'll have to learn this instead. And yes, it does not look easy!

https://youtu.be/w6Y3mKy8s2k?t=94

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    I had to play that in my band this year. I couldn't play the part where the wah kicks in so I convinced them to take the solo out and insert the next tune (Summer of '69).
    Worked out great =)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A bit off-topic, but I hate most video lessons, they seem to drag 2 minutes tuition out to 30 minute with 'put your first finger on the third string at the 12th fret' nonsense
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited September 2018
    You're not alone in finding that lick really hard. I used to play SCOM and there was no guarantee I'd get it right in the heat of the moment. It often ended up as "sounding a bit like" rather than exact. But I'd try to get the run up correct before it descended into some vague widdlyness towards the end.

I learned it from the video posted by @NelsonP (three posts earlier), but had trouble with the C to B and D# to B, which ties my fingers up in knots, so I worked out a way of doing it using pull-offs on the first string. My transcription of how I 'attempt' to play is in the picture below. I also find it easier to think of it in three chunks, which I've marked in the transcription.

https://i.imgur.com/7NRyGr0.png ;

It's not a competition.
  • I had to play it live a few months ago, like others said I got the start down and had learned a few licks in the middle. What really helped me was singing it in my head as I played, audiation got me through it- it’s an easy song and memorable enough to hum along to and most of the licks sounded close enough to a layman to make me sound like I know what I’m doing. 
  • John_A said:
    A bit off-topic, but I hate most video lessons, they seem to drag 2 minutes tuition out to 30 minute with 'put your first finger on the third string at the 12th fret' nonsense

I mostly agree, but there are times when a video lesson can carry more information than a tab and can help with where to put fingers etc.

I'd say the more experience you have the less useful a video is but for beginners a well made video is a lot easier than a tab. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    I'm in a grunge/metal covers band and whenever I hear the other guitarist doing a note for note solo I wonder "why would you do that when being in a covers band is enough of a punishment?"
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited September 2018
    Cheers guys, lots of great input & comments - thank you!  Reassuring to know that I'm not alone in finding this song a bugger to play. Lead solo at the end is definitely improvise territory and I'm not anal enough to try or even want to do that 'note for note'. But up to that 'connection' lick to the wah solo I'd like to get it as right as I can, & I found the video series I posted really good for that.  I know some folk get on well with tabs but I don't sadly - my brain responds way better to what I can watch & hear, so vids suit me.  Re that awkward run-up lick I'm going to check out the other suggestion vids mentioned here & see how I get on over the weekend.  

As a side note, a 'technical' problem I had was that my band want to play this in the original Eb - our vocalist 'can't' (allegedly, lol) do this in E and he and the bass player are just 'used' to doing it in Eb).  Now, there's no way my brain and fingers can cope with transposing this in standard tuning (I've got my work cut out learning it normally & I know my fingers would get confused!), I don't want to have to go to the hassle of physically retuning or taking another guitar tuned to Eb just for one song, and none of my guitars have 'robo-tuners'. 

But then I spotted something on You-tube that was a revelation and simply never occurred to me - I could use the pitch-shift effect on my Zoom G5n (haven't tried it with my Tonelabs yet). So I set the pitch-shifter to the settings in the vid and voila - works absolutely perfectly with no latency or unwanted tonal issues whatsoever.  Bloody brilliant!! (the idea that is, not me!).  So I now have a 'Slash' patch set in Eb with a wah kick in, and (at least tone & key wise) I'm rockin'! 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    This solo has always been in my "to learn" list.  I had the first couple of solos and the third up to the wah run down years ago but never felt capable of getting that bit down.  I really should give it a proper go again.  I've always just improvised that bit, but I think you are right @Voxman - it is a recognisable/iconic bit of the solo that I think links the main melodic solo and the widdly bit.  The back end is just some pentatonic repeating patterns that as long as you get the feel, it will work well, but I do feel that the main run should be played "properly".  Everything else just doesn't sound "right". 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited September 2018
    Sometimes not learning things note for note is an excuse for not being able to play it, technical-wise. I don't mean that in an arsey way (definitely not!!!) but I always find it rewarding finding things out by ear, understanding what scales are lying under the chords and being able to technically handle the piece. I'm cool with improvising parts as long as I know I'm not making excuses for myself! That's not cool (for me, anyway)  lol there's a lot of stuff I struggle to play lol  when I started I learnt all of AFD note for note. It was an education I wish I had time to repeat. Modern life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I know exactly what you mean, when I was in a covers band we used to do SCOM and I could never get that little run. Just used to wing it
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Spent a while last night trying to learn the run. Its tough, particularly since I'm not very familiar with the melodic minor scale.

I struggled with both the rhythm and speed and have much more work to do. I can wing it using a pentatonic run but now i realise thats cheating and i want to develop the technique to play it properly.

Silly really because I hardly ever play the song and theres plenty of other bits I dont know properly.

But now its bugging me.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sometimes not learning things note for note is an excuse for not being able to play it, technical-wise. I don't mean that in an arsey way (definitely not!!!) but I always find it rewarding finding things out by ear, understanding what scales are lying under the chords and being able to technically handle the piece. I'm cool with improvising parts as long as I know I'm not making excuses for myself! That's not cool (for me, anyway)  lol there's a lot of stuff I struggle to play lol  when I started I learnt all of AFD note for note. It was an education I wish I had time to repeat. Modern life
    100% agree with all of this.  

If you just wing it you wont get any better
    edited September 2018
    John_A said:
    100% agree with all of this.  

If you just wing it you wont get any better
    And that's kind of how I feel too - the guys in the band are saying just wing it, but I'd like to learn it as 'properly' as I reasonably can not just for the band & audience, but to stretch myself to improve my playing...I'm a stubborn old bugger lol and I don't like to be beaten - I work on the premise that if others can play it, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to make a fair rendition of it ...at least, that's the theory anyway! lol 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827

Have you thought about getting a top hat?

If it doesn't help to improve your playing you might be able to use it to conjure something up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Sort of a shame that @LesbianWithAGun was banned really. Now that the forum is entirely R8s and Slash riffs he'd have been in his element.....
  • proggy said:

If it doesn't help to improve your playing you might be able to use it to conjure something up.

This works. :lol:

johnl said:
    Sort of a shame that @LesbianWithAGun was banned really. Now that the forum is entirely R8s and Slash riffs he'd have been in his element.....
    Damn! That's my fantasy blown - I thought 'she' was a real lesbian! chica

proggy said:

Yeah, but then I'd have to play my LP down by my knees...not a good look for a shorty like megrin!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom