Had my first guitar lesson since 1997!

Wow!

last night I took a Skype lesson. Despite doing a guitar performance degree, it was my first one on one guitar lesson since 1997.

It was really strange to focus so intently on my technique, but very enjoyable. I think when you go it alone it's so easy to develop bad technique.

It's going to take a while to get modify the old habits, but so excited to move forwards.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good on ya. As a tutor I can see the difference it makes in people's playing. I got my performance degree in 2011 but I feel I still need to improve on certain areas of my playing too.

Going alone is so hard in so many ways, you lose motivation and direction as well as someone to jam with. Playing with others (usually better than you) will only improve you.
  • Thanks @Lestratcaster I've definitley developed some habits that are holding me back, and the tutor spotted them immediately LOL
  • Sign of a good tutor, I do it myself with learners, they haven't realised they've been doing it for years and its so hard to shake at first.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    If been doing lessons of a really good jazz guitarist/teacher ...if always though my technique was fine but he keeps pulling me up on the right hand when picking or strumming ...I keep it close the the neck for that nice mellow sound but don't go in a straight line across the strings ...more of a curved so I'm getting nearer the bridge going towards the top E ...while this didn't seem much of a big deal to me it is a big difference to the tone ...it's surprising how many other guitarists do it without noticing just like I was