Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Acoustics - Any Good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    CloudNine said:

If I had to sell one, I would cry at my terrible misfortune, then say goodbye to the Bourgeois.
    I had to make that sort of decision a long time ago, and very stupidly I sold my '61 J45 and kept my Lowden. I still regret it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey Waz... I have a custom shop true vintage vos hummingbird and it's just great!
    Build quality is right up there and strumming open chords makes simply the most beautiful lush sound!
    Just back from Nashville and there are a lot of people using them out there!!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    @Wazmeister  try a hummingbird vintage.  There’s one on deal in coda
  • If you like the Hummingbird I’d try a few Doves if I were you.  To me there’s just something “more” to them.  I’m not an acoustic man by any means but some of the Doves I’ve played have just felt and sounded amazing.  I’ve never really had that with the Hummingbird, which just sounded darker, boxier and less vibrant to my ears but maybe I didn’t play any great ones?
  • I've tried a few Gibbo acoustics and liked  them for being good quality guitars.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    I’ve got a nice 2014 Hummingbird. It has a more mellow tone than most Martins but even. Warmer than most Taylor’s. I like the look of the true vintage version but a bit pricey for me.

I’m in the process of returning an LG-2 American Eagle though as it arrived with an incorrectly cut saddle and the tuning machines were installed out of line on the bass side. Pays to try first in a shop I guess (as I did with the ‘bird). The LG-2 offered nothing the hummingbird doesnt except for the comfort factor of a smaller body.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I tried a very good American eagle in reidys about a year ago
  • In recent years I have settled on 000 size guitars, just for comfort I guess...

But that fuller sound and gorgeous looks are tempting. Ill have to get out and try one 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I once worked on a 60s J45. It sounded so good that my wife thought it was someone else playing!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In recent years I have settled on 000 size guitars, just for comfort I guess...

But that fuller sound and gorgeous looks are rtempting. Ill have to get out and try one 
    Again, I'd go for a slope shouldered one then, like a J45 or an AJ. They're that bit more comfortable than a dread and I think they generally sound a bit more balanced and articulate
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I have a 2016 Hummingbird, I tried 4 in GG and PMT, all were good but one was great, I traded my J45 as part of the deal, the Hummingbird just sounded fuller / better to me.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Shocking lack of pictures here. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, ok then...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahem

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    edited September 2018
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Nerrrr... :)

Actually the CJ-165 has gone back to its previous owner, who missed it. Although so do I, so if he ever sells it again I'll probably buy it back!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’ve got a J50 which was made in 2003, it’s a good sounding guitar but  not as nice to my ears as an old J45 I used to play back in the early 60’s, (it could just be nostalgia). I’m not really an acoustic guitar player but when I do play acoustic I tend to pick up one of my USA built Taylors, they’re remarkable guitars with the best actions I’ve ever come across on any acoustic.
    edited September 2018
    In recent years I have settled on 000 size guitars, just for comfort I guess...

But that fuller sound and gorgeous looks are tempting. Ill have to get out and try one 
    Try a Martin 000-18 then!  They’re different so get both!
    All above pics lovely!