Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's more versatile: Telecaster or Jazzmaster?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
Interested in your views.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•  Have both and would say my Mascis Jazzmaster is more versatile BUT if I was only allowed to keep one I would keep my Tele. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Hmmm...I like both for their unique qualities. JM has a nice whammy bar and neck length, while the Tele has a great chunka-chunka thing going on. As for being "versatile", well...that's hard to say.
  • Love both but it’d have to be the tele, just has more bite when pushed.
    After more consideration if I could only keep one, it would have to be the Tele. However....if it was between a Jaguar and the Tele I would keep the Jag.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Hard call.

The Tele will be more versatile for classic rock, country, pop and reggae/ska sounds - and is more likely to be closer to those classic sounds we all know. 

However, the Jazzmaster will do these too - albeit a slightly brighter underlying character. Where the Jazzmaster falls down is choppy stuff - the ring/overtones from behind the bridge make it difficult to use in modern ska/punk/high gain settings without some kind of damping.I found my JM hopeless for this. 

However the Jazzmaster’s neck pickup sound is from the gods - it’s like a massive grand piano...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:

However the Jazzmaster’s neck pickup sound is from the gods - it’s like a massive grand piano...
    That's the only pickup I use on my JM 65 re-issue.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Jazzmaster.

Because it has a trem.

So there are things you can play on a Jazzmaster that you can’t (convincingly) play on Tele, but not vice versa.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I always find Tele’s a bit of a one-trick Pony. JM’s all the way for a sonic palette like a soup of over similed metaphors :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9300
    edited September 2018
    A tele can do jazz, blues, rock, funk, heavy metal, the lot. If anyone can find me a style of electric guitar that a tele can’t be used for, I’ll be impressed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78 said:
    A tele can do jazz, blues, rock, funk, heavy metal, the lot. If anyone can find me a style of electric guitar that a tele can’t be used for, I’ll be impressed
    Does it Djent? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

Never having owned a Jazzmaster (or Jaguar) - so forgive me - I've always been under the impression that they sound a bit plinky, with little sustain.

If that's true, can they do heavier rock styles?  I know J Mascis gets some pretty big rock sounds.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    My lad uses one I built for his punky stonery doomy band downtuned, but does near clean mellow stuff too. Has Mojo J90s though so got the P90 thing going.
  • Tele all the way, Les Zep through to smooth Jazz no problem. I’d say the JM has more character though imho , as others have mentioned the neck pu especially sounds like a warmer plinkier Strat to me - gorgeous.
  • Tele all the way, Les Zep through to smooth Jazz no problem. I’d say the JM has more character though imho , as others have mentioned the neck pu especially sounds like a warmer plinkier Strat to me - gorgeous.
    You still lovin’ my ex?

That was your ex. Ewww...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • chris78 said:
    Any guitar will do those styles of music because the notes that are played dictate the style of music not the lump of wood.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Philly_Q said:

Never having owned a Jazzmaster (or Jaguar) - so forgive me - I've always been under the impression that they sound a bit plinky, with little sustain.

If that's true, can they do heavier rock styles?  I know J Mascis gets some pretty big rock sounds.

They can do all the classic rock sounds I've had to find for a typical rock covers set -- but you need pedals.
    For example, I use a compressor at full tilt + a fuzz/distortion to get the sustain I'd normally have from humbuckers.
    But on that neck pickup it sounds wonderful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    If I had to only have 1 guitar it would be a Tele - No one guitar does it all but a Tele can do more than most IMO
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7847
    edited September 2018
    Tele. Perfectly designed guitar. Shame I always want to bolt a Bigsby one every one I play. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Esquire
  • Tele can get you out of most holes in a band situation.