Loverboy

What's Hot
Only recently found out about this band. Love them. Any band where the lead singer wears a head-band is ok with me :lol:
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep.. some great tunes.. often used in Adam Sandler movies
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    Any band where the lead singer wears a head-band is ok with me :lol:

And you'll be glad to know he's still rockin' that look.

Image result for mike reno

• Bloody hell, there's a band residing on the where are they now file if there ever was. I could just about hum a chorus of Turn Me Loose although I'd have guessed it was Foreigner.

Early Foreigner are pretty much the band Loverboy wanted to be ( I'd suggest, no I don't know do I? Yeh, not doing so bad, I could complain but who'd listen? Ha ha ha. No, Bake Off isn't what it was but that Manon, phwoarr. Anyway, must rush...). So the first four Foreigner albums are probably essential listening if you like Loverboy.
    Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones is as old as God's dog now and was, IIRC,  in a French rock band that was supported by The Beatles. He's also Marc Ronson's step father isn't he? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I love Foreigner, also 8)

Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones is as old as God's dog now and was, IIRC,  in a French rock band that was supported by The Beatles. He's also Marc Ronson's step father isn't he? 

He was in Johnny Hallyday's band, I think.  Also Spooky Tooth.  And I have a Leslie West Band album which he's on.

The first four Foreigner albums are very good, but I've always thought Jones was both the linchpin and a weak link  - great songwriter, but as a band they always lacked a bit of firepower in the guitar department.

Back to Loverboy, I never bought any of their records but for some reason I have got one of guitarist Paul Dean's solo albums.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    This might appeal then. 

• Philly_Q said:

He was in Johnny Hallyday's band, I think.  Also Spooky Tooth.  And I have a Leslie West Band album which he's on.

The first four Foreigner albums are very good, but I've always thought Jones was both the linchpin and a weak link  - great songwriter, but as a band they always lacked a bit of firepower in the guitar department.

Back to Loverboy, I never bought any of their records but for some reason I have got one of guitarist Paul Dean's solo albums.

Bloody hell that must be you and Paul Dean's mother!

Yeh, Jones is a stronger writer than he is guitarist probably. Recent clips suggest he isn't really playing as well as he did either.

AOR not generally my thing but I loved Zappacosta . Really strong songwriting and one of the best rock vocalists ever, Alfie Zappacosta had fronted a band called Surrender ( who were Canadian contemporaries of Loverboy)and in the early 80s had his self titled band. Not much in the way of guitar solos but some real gems. IIRC the lack of success lead him to musical theatre.     

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary said:
    AOR not generally my thing but I loved Zappacosta . Really strong songwriting and one of the best rock vocalists ever, Alfie Zappacosta had fronted a band called Surrender ( who were Canadian contemporaries of Loverboy)and in the early 80s had his self titled band. Not much in the way of guitar solos but some real gems. IIRC the lack of success lead him to musical theatre.     

He can never get a game for Chelsea either, can he?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Philly_Q said:
    Any band where the lead singer wears a head-band is ok with me :lol:

And you'll be glad to know he's still rockin' that look.

Image result for mike reno

Apparently 'his way' was a high carb diet.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Another 80's blast from the past:

octatonic said:
    Another 80's blast from the past:

I've got the 7" single.  :)

Mike Slamer on guitar.  Later of Streets, Seventh Key and Steelhouse Lane.  And the secret guitarist on the first two Warrant albums.

• Nice discovery @thomasross20 ;

The best Loverboy tracks

You'll know this already by now though ;)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Loverboy are great...their best of album is a regular in the workshop. 
    Mike Reno has a great voice and the guitar sound on Turn me loose is awesome

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I'm listening to a Loverboy compilation now.

It's weird, with each track I start off cringing at the cheesy lyrics and synth sounds and think oh no, I can't cope with this... then 3 minutes later I'm thinking well, that was pretty cool.  They're undeniably catchy songs and although it's dated I like the production, Reno's voice comes through really clearly.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I knew I'd heard them before.

A sounds compilation album from the 80s.

https://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=568314
  • Loverboy did a great album more recently (well, about 10 years ago!) called ‘Just Getting Started ‘ - one of my favourite AOR albums ever, worth checking out. Honeymoon Suite are a band in a similar vein too.
    Honeymoon Suite are a band in a similar vein too.
    Funnily enough I put on some Honeymoon Suite last night after listening to Loverboy, continuing the Canadian theme.

A bit too much sugary goop though, after a while I had to give up and listen to Headpins.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Racing After Midnight is one of my most played albums ever. Saw Honeymoon Suite support Quo in the late 80s and bought the album as a result. Some of their other stuff is good, but RAM is brilliant. Top down, sun shining type of album.

Also got to see them in a pub in Whistler with only about 50 people in the crowd. Stellar gig.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Still loving this band. One of my best finds ever. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom