SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Vintage 47 Mighty Mini amp for sale - was £480, now £375 - no, wait... £345

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited August 2019 in Amps £
This is a fabulous little 5w amplifier from Vintage 47 amplifiers, based in San Pedro, California - they're handbuilt, and have something of a reputation for excellent quality, 'Valco style' old school amplifiers. They're very difficult to find in the UK, as they have to be individually imported and trying to find one is, well, a 'challenge'. 

For a boutique amp manufacturer, they're extremely reasonably priced, and will build to UK specs, as this one is - so you don't need a step-down transformer. Don't be fooled by the '5 watt' description - this is loud! At polite volumes, it gives a lovely old school warm jazz break up, but gets harder as the volume's pushed and particularly when the boost switch is engaged. Have a look at vintage47amps.com and prepare to be impressed. The guitar's not for sale, by the way, but it's there as a 'serving suggestion', and the amp certainly looks the part alongside it! 

I did say that they were reasonable priced, and you could import one, brand new, for about £570 - but, if' I recall rightly, there's import duty and VAT to add on, which makes it more like £750 all in - this one's here now, you don't have to wait for it to be made, or risk damage in transit and it's nearly £300 cheaper. :-)  I'm in the Stafford area, and any trial is welcome, or message me and we'll have a chat. Cheers!

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I also have a Mighty Mini and they really are superb amps!  The switchable boost really increases versatility dramatically and the high/low inputs also work well if you are switching between humbuckers and single coils.

The fact that you can use 5881, 6V6 and 6L6 valves make it even more versatile and you can also switch rectifier valves between GZ34 and 5Y3s.  

Good luck with the new amp and also good luck with the sale.  A bargain for less than £500.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thank you. :-)  The video of Jonathan Stout playing a 185 made my mind up that it was probably the one to go for for the stuff I want to play (although the Nocturne Moonshine '39 and Elektra 185 - at more than double the cost, mind) look fantastic. I have the ES-150 (1938) as pictured above, to go with it - now all I need is the amp. Oh yes - and the ability. 
    Call me Dave.
  • The Vintage 47 version of the EH185 looks great and coupled with the 150 it should be a perfect match. 

I run my Mighty Mini straight into an oversized 2x12 and it sounds just wonderful and the fact that the amp is very sensibly equipped with a jack socket for an external cab, next to the socket for the amp's own speaker, makes it dead easy to change back to the Weber 9x6 speaker.  I love the Weber too having said that, just get a bigger bottom end with the 2x12.

Have you tried changing the output valves?  Makes a huge difference to the sound. 

I hadn't thought of that (the valves) - I also have a Blues Junior, an Ampeg Jet ii and hoping to buy @Dan s Carr Sportsman! Daft really, because they never leave the guitar room, sorry 'bedroom'. :-)  I can't justify having a separate cab as I haven't got the room, but it's a good idea. I'll have a think about that, but I've just had an offer on it via the auction site. There's a forum member that's interested in it, but logistics are a bit tricky for him at the mo. I'll have to let him know though, as I'd prefer it to go to a forum member if possible. Have you heard the Nocturne Moonshine 39 and Elektra 185's - £2500-ish, but they sound fantastic! 

Call me Dave.
    Ah well, for whatever reason the bidder retracted their bid, so the path's still clear for anyone that wants this little gem. What would you change the output valves to, @surfguy13 as a matter of interest? I'm intrigued by the cab idea now, as well. 
    Call me Dave.
  • The ability to change the output valves was one of the main reasons I bought the amp!  I think they come with a 6V6 as standard and this definitely gives the amp a little grit and it works really well with single coils or P90s.  I've been using a 60s Brimar 6V6 and it sounds great.
    When I bought the amp it came with a 5881 installed and that sounds really nice too but very different to the 6V6.  I have settled on 6L6GC as being the best valve for the way I use the amp and was fortunate to buy a pair of early 80s Philips which are very high quality valves and sound wonderful.  The 6L6GC opens the amp up and gives you much more clean headroom than a 6V6.
    I have changed the rectifier valve to an old 60s Sylvania as I have quite a few of them.
    Valves aren't expensive and depending on what output valve you have in the amp now why not buy the other two options and try them out?  Stick with the 6SL7 preamp valve as your only other option is a 6SN7 and they reduce the output considerably.  The 6SL7 gives you a lovely fat sound....love it.  Likewise, stick with the JJ rectifier you have, no need to change that.  Just concentrate on the output valves.  
    I use an archtop with a humbucker and a strat at the moment and both guitars sound amazing through the amp.  It works really well with P90s too.  By using the boost switch you also totally change the character of whatever pickup you're using and you get loads more volume. 
    The cabinet just opens the amp up and it doesn't have to be a 2x12, I'm sure a 1x12 sounds great too and you can get a lovely sounding compact 1x12.  I've tried the 2x12 with a Jensen P12Q combined with a Celestion ('73 G12L) and then with a pair of '73 G12Ls.  Sounds great with both options.
    I haven't heard of the Nocturne Moonshine 39 or the Elektra 185's but will go and check them out now.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow, thanks. I must admit that I know nothing  about amps, so really appreciate that. Would you recommend any supplier to talk to? 
    Call me Dave.
  • If you decide to go for JJs then the place I last bought JJ valves from was:

https://valvetubeguitaramps.com/

They seem to have the best prices and an excellent service.  They sell single valves, which is what you need, and they're really not expensive.  The guy who runs is is called Stuart (I think) and he couldn't have been more helpful.

The alternative is to buy NOS valves from Ebay.  Lots of options depending on which valves you want to try.  What output valve is in the amp now?  As you're looking at the rear of the amp its the middle of the 3 valves.
    Thanks yet again - I'm not at home tonight, but will check that out. Funnily enough, I was going to contact them about replacement valves for my Ameg Jet ii. Your advice is very much appreciated.  
    Call me Dave.
  • Pleasure and once again, GLWTS!  :)
    A little bump
    Call me Dave.
  • Another route, try the Nocturne Jr BarnYard pedal for the Charlie amp thing.  I have had one since they were first released.  Remarkable.  :+1: 
    Great post - yes, Nocturne Jr Barnyard is on my list. I've been in touch with Tavo about that and a Nocturne Moonshine 39 amp. Cheers for that. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Good one!  JrB and a Quilter amp/block is a killer combination for swing, jazz, rockabilly gigs.  ATB.  Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil - I've been looking at a lot of Rodney Gene Jr and Tommy Harkenrider stuff lately, and that's where I'm looking to go. I'd checked out Quilter and also the Carr Sportsman (which I'm sorting out now) and also Dan Dunham (who I've also been in touch with) and Grez Guitars. I might as well have the kit, even if I can't bloody play the stuff. :-)
    Call me Dave.
  • I’m another Tommy Harkenrider follower! I have two of the Vintage 47 amps (the mini and the ric) and the JrB. Great sounds all!
    I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy over the summer, he’s a great guy. And I had a play on his red TK Smith Guitar, which is lovely! 
    Was that in Camden by any chance? If so, Chris Corcoran was on the bill, and I wanted to see them both, but as luck would have it, I was poorly that day and couldn't go. I'm a big fan of both of them (and Rodney Gene Jr plus Joel Paterson) and for the even older stuff, Jonathan Stout, who is an absolute master!
    Call me Dave.
  • This thread is killing me. 2 new brands of amp that were off my radar and a pedal. Until now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, it was Bristol, with Ruzz Guitar. Chris Corcoran is amazing too though! Really want to get on one of his workshops at some point. Jonathan Stout is great...and Kid Ramos, and all those are before you get back to the originals Tiny Grimes, Bill Jennings, Allan Reuss etc! 
  • Maybe we should start another thread outside of the classifieds to discuss this stuff, who we’re listening to, what we’re learning etc. It’s quite niche music so would be good to have a uk community of this stuff? Who’s in?