Maybe looking for a second amp

smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

Hi guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So I may be trying to talk myself into getting a second amp, so looking for some opinions on what to start looking at.

Currently using a Marshall JVM410h and 4x12, which I love. For tonight’s rehearsal though, we’re having to use quite a small place, and some of the gigs we play are in smaller venues, so it would be great to also have a smaller amp that I could turn to if I needed to.

Obvious choice would a JVM 410 combo, or maybe just get a 2x12 cab. The combo would get me the same tones in a smaller package, and I think I’m right in thinking I could use the same JVM footswitch & presets for both amps too.

But that’s too boring, lol! I always wanna try something different! I use an LP and a Tele, and for the Tele I use pedals that get me either a clean/crunchy Vox or a Fender sound which I prefer to Tele > Marshall. I’m wondering if I should consider buying a combo that’s more voiced to use with my Tele? This could also lead to potentially using two amps at some of our bigger gigs.

The other guitarist in my band has a Vox Valvetronics amp and I love his tone with this Tele, so was tempted to maybe try one of these, or maybe some other Vox? I’ve got plenty Marshall flavoured pedals I could use for my LP.

I don’t want to spend TOO much, and I’m maybe not too bothered about the amp being all-tube. Either 1 or 2 speakers, an FX loop would be helpful but not necessary if the amp has a good clean channel, and as I say, I’ve got plenty pedals for all my dirt.

I seen someone selling an Engl Thunder 50w so had a look into this – I think the features on this are exactly what I’m after – small, all valve, powerful enough, extra channels if I need them and with the added bonus of my fav speaker – Vintage 30!

Any other suggestions for me to look into?

Cheers

Keir

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you tried a hot rod/blues deluxe? Not too expensive second hand, fantastic clean channel, FX loop and a great reverb too. You can further tweak the sound by swapping the speaker - I hear the vintage 30 is a very popular choice with the HRD. 

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Check out the Line6 DT series. 25W in particular. Those are great amps with 4 different voicing topologies originally and imho worth getting just for fender type clean and mesa like high gain sounds. Amp like that could give You few different options to choose from and experiment, and you could still get Your basic marshall tone. Worth checking out in my opinion. If that's not your thing then probably HRD or something from two-rock?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2014
    What about an Egnater Tweaker? That has Vox, Fender and Marshall type tones plus a lot of tweakability. The 2 channels can mimic each other if so required or be entirely different. No reverb though.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    I actually had a tweaker for a while, just the head and cab, but a combo would def suit the bill i reckon! Was a great amp!
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Don't do it, amp gas is very dengerous!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Hughes kettner statesman kicks the arse off just about everything. It's a much better ampnthan the egnater.