Dreadnought Action

What's Hot
Anybody know what the (standard) action should be for a string at the 12th fret on a dreadnought type acoustic.
Mine is currently in excess of 3mm on the fat E, which seems a bit high.
I'm assuming the first port of call is the saddle if I want to reduce this?
Thanks in advance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    3mm isn't ridiculously high on an acoustic.  A bit over 2mm may be more typical though.  You don't want to go too low else you can get nasty buzzes etc.

You might want to check the neck relief.  If you hold a string down at the first fret and at the last fret, there should be a very small gap between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the string - probably about 0.2 to 0.3mm - feeler gauges might help you here.

If there is a bigger gap then this then you could help the situation by tightening the truss rod.  If there is no gap at all then the truss rod will need loosening off.  Make sure you loosen the strings before adjusting the truss rod.
  • 2.7mm I believe, so you're not far off. Higher action is good for volume.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    crunchman said:
    3mm isn't ridiculously high on an acoustic.  A bit over 2mm may be more typical though.  You don't want to go too low else you can get nasty buzzes etc.

You might want to check the neck relief.  If you hold a string down at the first fret and at the last fret, there should be a very small gap between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the string - probably about 0.2 to 0.3mm - feeler gauges might help you here.

If there is a bigger gap then this then you could help the situation by tightening the truss rod.  If there is no gap at all then the truss rod will need loosening off.  Make sure you loosen the strings before adjusting the truss rod.
    The neck is slightly concave. If I fret the string at the first and last fret then there is a very small gap (no feeler gauges) so the truss rod must be okay based on what you are saying.
    2.7mm I believe, so you're not far off. Higher action is good for volume.
    Don't get me wrong it's not unplayable and it is loud, it's just quite a bit higher than my other acoustic which is an OM type model.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    edited April 2014
    Before you sand down your saddle, check the break angle will allow it. My Taylor's action (I believe) got gradually higher after a couple of years. I attribute this to the climate here being rather damper than the 47% standard they apply whilst building them in California, the top swells and bellies up. Anyway, I lowered the saddle by the amount I thought was required to get it back like when it was new but the tone suffered - I think the reduced break angle contributed. The tone was so much worse I immediately bought another saddle to get the height back. I'll check later to see where it's at.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    3mm sounds about right to me, for the low E on a big resonant guitar. There's no 'right measurement' though, you have to go by feel, ear and experience.

You can have the thin strings quite a bit lower even for good tone on a Dreadnought, but you want a fair bit of room for the thick ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    3mm sounds about right to me, for the low E on a big resonant guitar. There's no 'right measurement' though, you have to go by feel, ear and experience.

You can have the thin strings quite a bit lower even for good tone on a Dreadnought, but you want a fair bit of room for the thick ones.
    I'll probably just leave it as is. my experiments with Guitar techery tend to end badly anyway. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Mine is a bit higher than I thought, 3.5mm. Like ICBM says, I wouldn't want it much lower on a dread strung with 13-56!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    @ICBM you reckon higher action needed for bigger guitar? Sounds right to me. 

What about nut height... That shouldn't matter, right? It should be the same for any guitar?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    @ICBM you reckon higher action needed for bigger guitar? Sounds right to me. 

What about nut height... That shouldn't matter, right? It should be the same for any guitar?
    You need a higher action for a guitar with a larger top and bigger top movement - the top literally moves up and down with the string vibration, and the strings must not hit the frets even when the top is at the lowest point of its travel, so the more movement in the top the higher the action has to be with the strings at rest... if that makes sense!

Nut height should be more or less the same as on any guitar, although I would probably not try to get it quite to the limit of lowest possible height that I would with an electric.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yep that makes sense, thanks. 

So bigger guitars have inherently higher action. So if you want a bassier guitar either get a bigger bodied one (higher action) or one that has scallopped braces or top (not sure if this has same effect re action?).

Re nut height... So it is acceptable to lower that so an F is easy enough to barre. Basically I'm shooting for same nut slot depths on a dreadnought as on an OM..?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    When I've had dreads I've gone around 2.5mm on low E at 12th. 

Go lower than 2mm on a Martin dread and you can take away all the fire.

:) 
    I'm not going to beat around the bush, I got an L-05 (lol). I now have five Larrivee's. I actually feel a bit sick at how much £££ I've spent and I tend to prefer less than more. But this thing is sublime. The nut feels a tad high and the low E is 3mm at 12th fret. Might get luthier to file the nut slots, at least.. as I think lowering that so can play an F a bit easier is fine. Wish could do that myself 
    Hmm...so.much for the "I'm not buying any more guitars for a while. I
    mean it!"

=) 
    I know. Part of me wants to take a reflex action, sell all them and just buy/keep one. This has really escalated! 
    I'm just joking mate. Your money, your right to spend it

:) 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I'm not going to beat around the bush, I got an L-05 (lol). I now have five Larrivee's. I actually feel a bit sick at how much £££ I've spent and I tend to prefer less than more. But this thing is sublime. The nut feels a tad high and the low E is 3mm at 12th fret. Might get luthier to file the nut slots, at least.. as I think lowering that so can play an F a bit easier is fine. Wish could do that myself 
    With all that money you could of bought a really good acoustic
    Haha yeah. 
    Tbh (and I think was joking?) I've got five really good and different Larrivee's for less than the price of one of these high end ones, and I think the gains are marginal past a certain point (I know, I've tried a bazillion of them). Still.. it's got a bit crazy of late. 
    A nice MARTIN OM28 Re-imagined with 'em.........

Suit you. 

=) 
    Hahahaha suit you, sir! 
    I think I've got problems.
    Going to log into TrueFire 24/7 and forget about GAS