Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

your best Gilmour setup?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Octafish said:
    Gassage said:
    Gilmour used the Univibe on the RTL tour
    Was that his old Shin-ei Univibe?

Sort of. Pete and Phil Taylor made it into a rack version

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
    Have not and never will get the Gilmour fascination. Pink Floyd are great and that but the obsessing over a dad-blues player never fails to amaze me. On an Island is a great album though
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was this time where we managed to get a ladder, bucket, water and sponge and pretended to be window cleaners. We managed to fool Dave into walking under the ladder on the way to Gassage’s house cos Dave wanted to know how to get the best Gilmour pedalboard. As he walked under the ladder, the bucket ‘accidentally’ spilled the water over him. Oh we laughed.

Best setup ever.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited September 2018
    A while back I went on a Gilmour tone chasing spree and ended up with the following. Skreddy Rust Rod muff, Vick Audio 73 Rams head deluxe muff, Whirlwind red box compressor, Whirlwind Orange box phaser, Mooer E Lady flanger, Strymon El Capistan delay, T C Nova delay. 

All run through a Laney Lionheart L20H head, it gets me pretty darn close to some of Gilmours tones. I know it's not mega ££'s but it does for me!

Edit: I would like some kind of decent overdrive to boost the Muffs.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have not and never will get the Gilmour fascination. Pink Floyd are great and that but the obsessing over a dad-blues player never fails to amaze me. On an Island is a great album though
    Guitartango: Gilmour is the Messiah, the Chosen One!

@gibsongretschfan  : No, he's not.

BRIAN: Aaaagh!

Guitartango: An unbeliever!

Gilmourish: An unbeliever!

Guitartango: Persecute! Kill the heretic!

Gilmourish: Kill the heretic! Kill him! Persecute! Kill!...
    “Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:
    A while back I went on a Gilmour tone chasing spree and ended up with the following. Skreddy Rust Rod muff, Vick Audio 73 Rams head deluxe muff, Whirlwind red box compressor, Whirlwind Orange box phaser, Mooer E Lady flanger, Strymon El Capistan delay, T C Nova delay. 

All run through a Laney Lionheart L20H head, it gets me pretty darn close to some of Gilmours tones. I know it's not mega ££'s but it does for me!

Loved my very similar setup. Wis'd for great taste! ;-)

A Klon is a good boost for a Muff.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:

Loved my very similar setup. Wis'd for great taste! ;-)

A Klon is a good boost for a Muff.
    Thanks mate, I still to this day regret selling my RYRA.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Have not and never will get the Gilmour fascination. Pink Floyd are great and that but the obsessing over a dad-blues player never fails to amaze me. On an Island is a great album though
    I get the antipathy to 'dad-blues' and sympathise. Not a Bonamassa fan for example and extremely tired of gear demos consisting of 'here's some Stevie'.

I wouldnt necessarily put Gilmour in that category though. He doesnt play your stock blues licks as such and it tends to be melody based. Yes he has a nice vibrato and uses a strat but he is a long way from being in that box. To me anyway. Maybe other people see it differently i dont know?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Samgb said:
    I get the antipathy to 'dad-blues' and sympathise. Not a Bonamassa fan for example and extremely tired of gear demos consisting of 'here's some Stevie'.

I wouldnt necessarily put Gilmour in that category though. He doesnt play your stock blues licks as such and it tends to be melody based. Yes he has a nice vibrato and uses a strat but he is a long way from being in that box. To me anyway. Maybe other people see it differently i dont know?

Yep, don't really see much Floyd or Gilmour's playing with Floyd as Dad-blues, but each to their own. Do find it funny that someone levelling that criticism would go to say they liked 'On an Island', which to me does sounds like Dad-blues and is thoroughly aimless and banal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Samgb said:

Yep, don't really see much Floyd or Gilmour's playing with Floyd as Dad-blues, but each to their own. Do find it funny that someone levelling that criticism would go to say they liked 'On an Island', which to me does sounds like Dad-blues and is thoroughly aimless and banal.
    I’m making a distinction between his song writing and his guitar twiddling. I remember Pink Floyds music, not nessesarily the guitar solos
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited September 2018
    Octafish said:
    Samgb said:

I’m making a distinction between his song writing and his guitar twiddling. I remember Pink Floyds music, not nessesarily the guitar solos
    Seeing as his guitar playing, licks and riffs were quite integral to Pink Floyd songwriting and melodies (i.e the four note Syd's theme riff at the beginning of 'Shine On' that supposedly heavily influenced the writing of song and Waters contributions), I'd say that it is hard to separate the two. Hardly as though Gilmour was launcing into half hour widdle off's every couple of minutes, just three out of the ten songs on Dark Side of the Moon contain guitar solos.

Personally I think the songwriting on 'On an Island' is dire, but we all like different things .

• Seconding @Samgb . I am not a Dad blues fan, at all. I more an RnB/soul/jazz guy, and if I listen to rock, which is not that much, it tends not to be classic blues based hard rock. Either harder metal, stoner stuff or technical shred, or alternative stuff.

I think what appeals about Gilmour is a simplicity of approach, melody based, with tasteful use of drive and Fx. It may not be how I personally want to play, but there are bits of his sound approach that I can take inspiration from.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Octafish said:
    Samgb said:

I think that is the point i am making though - there arent many bloozee solos. It may inform his playing but it certainly isnt just pentatonic boxes and away you go.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    The thing about DG’s sound is I think what gear he used isn’t as big of an issue vs what notes he played and how. 

For example, I’m recording something in the studio at the moment and I’ve been told it has a DG feel (not intentional at all but I will take it) and the gear couldn’t be more different. This was a HB les Paul, JTM45 up full and a Thorpy Veteran. 

https://instagram.com/p/BoUWA9RhZ8R/
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    edited September 2018
    We do some Floyd stuff with the band ...I just use a overdriven amp with reverb and a long  delay ..oh and a strat..
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I remember being at the MLOF tour in 87 \ 88 ish .... Dave played one note of SOYCD and it sounded like the voice of god :)

I got this tone with my sons Squire Strat and a Behringer V-Amp straight into a desk, not completely Gilmour but similar feel ... lot of compression to get sustain rather than dirt

http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/XLR8-Danny.MP3

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The best way to get a Gilmour style tone is buy a Strat, put it into a bin, set the bin on fire and then piss on it.
  • Gilmour is incredible wether using just a fuzz face or his monster PULSE rack.

Think he would sound like him playing thru a POD
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    timmysoft said:
    The best way to get a Gilmour style tone is buy a Strat, put it into a bin, set the bin on fire and then piss on it.
    ... said Roger Waters...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I remember being at the MLOF tour in 87 \ 88 ish .... Dave played one note of SOYCD and it sounded like the voice of god :)

I got this tone with my sons Squire Strat and a Behringer V-Amp straight into a desk, not completely Gilmour but similar feel ... lot of compression to get sustain rather than dirt

http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/XLR8-Danny.MP3

Lovely playing :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........